50 - One Thing After Another

AN: It's been a month and I'm SO sorry.

Here's a plot heavy update for you guys <3

- J
____________________________________
Sashas POV:

I couldn't stop shaking no matter how much I tried to convince myself to stop. My anxiety was hovering over me as my fingers fidgeted with the edge of the steering wheel. Breathing suddenly felt like an impossible chore even though it was necessary for my survival. 

To my surprise, everyone took the news well. 

Joking. 

Nic wasn't happy, which didn't surprise me in the slightest. He was lost, naturally, because he couldn't figure out why I was so adamant about going to work even though I was supposed to pretend that life outside of the beach didn't exist while we were here. I can't even be upset that he was upset, because I know that I'd be upset if the same happened to me. Except I know he wouldn't leave me with his friends to sneak off to make amends with his old roommates who fucked him over.

The rest minus Mikasa were very confused but didn't fight it.

Yeah, I am terrible. 

The conversation before I left didn't end well. Nic tried to convince me to stay multiple times as I got ready to leave, telling me to just ignore Ackerman and stay with him. Lying to him hurt, I won't lie, but he would've never agreed to let me go if he knew the truth. 

Currently, the soft music that played through the speakers couldn't compare to how loud my anxiety was. No matter what I was playing or how loud it was, my head was louder than it by indescribable measures. 

It pained me that I couldn't even escape chaos in paradise.

I arrived back in Paradise an hour and a half after I left, and the entire time I could only think about the look on Nic's face before I left. We were the only ones in the house while everyone else was enjoying themselves at the beach, so we were completely alone. 

____________________________________

"Sash, wait." 

I turn around to see Nic rush in front of me. My hand that rested on the doorknob slipped to my side as I turned around to face him. 

He's going to try to stop me again. 

I lean against the door, feeling a slight coolness emitting from the door through my sweatshirt. I look up at him, watching as his eyes scan mine like something he was missing might be there. He was a good distance away from me, far enough to have distance but still not far enough for tension to not make the room feel small and crowded. 

"Why can't I go with you?" He finally speaks after a few seconds, confusion mixing with his voice as he stepped closer, "It's a long drive and you'll probably be out late, right? You know how I feel about driving late at night."

"You can't go to work with me because I'll get in trouble if you're there." 

"Can't I just hang around discretely?" 

The tone of his voice was laced with careful yearning like he didn't want to come off too strong as he got closer to me. 

"Nic," I sigh, "I don't think that'll be a good idea and I'll only be gone for a few hou-"

"But a few hours are still time that you're away, Sash. I don't understand why you're so willing to just pack up and go. Did you even put up any sort of fight?" He shakes his head, leaning against the wall beside him as he looks away from me.