59 - Rusted Swings and Old Nursery Rhymes

AN: HELLO HELLO~! How is everyone?! <3

It's been an embarrassing amount of time since I updated and that's so awkward for me...

Genuinely the past few months have been so hectic and scary for me, and updating was just not on the radar for me at all... I hope I still have readers after this because oh my gosh I haven't updated since what...May? I am SO SORRY.

However, I will say that this chapter is one that I have been anticipating forever and one that I know will have you guys on your toes! ;)

Enjoy!! <33

- J

_________________________________

Sashas POV:

I think this might be the farthest I've ever sat away from him.

It's almost awkward sitting here across from him when I'm so used to being beside him. A great metaphor for our relationship right now, I know. It feels wrong, and so beyond tense I can barely breathe. Every once comfortable sensation of the atmosphere here has now soiled, reminding me of the grotesque feeling of an abandoned children's park.

A small lamp in the corner illuminated the space now, which only added to the tension because I could now see him fully which meant he can also see me back. All emotions were about to be on the table, but for real this time.

No more sugarcoating, even though I'm not sure even sugarcoating could sweeten the sour taste in my mouth right now.

However, I've wanted this conversation for so long. No. I've wanted this conversation to be over for so long. That's how confrontation normally goes. No one likes the act of confrontation; they like the after-effects of it.

Everything that comes after.

And that's only if it ends up well.

The during is the part that makes everyone nervous. It's the lack of control over the other person, scrambling to find the words that you've rehearsed millions of times in your head, trying to maintain tough when all you want to do is cry, and so much more.

Most of the time, everything you've carefully crafted and rehearsed ends up being tripped over, and words get scrambled due to the nervousness and the person being right in front of them.

You can only hope that the after-effect isn't your worst-case scenario.

I can only hope our after-effect is everything I've wanted from the start of this nightmare. The lack of control is wringing my mind out repeatedly just by sitting here.

I shift forward, resting my elbows on my knees as I fixate on a spot on the wall.

The silence that followed my agreement to talk was starting to overstay its welcome, leaving me more and more anxious as the seconds passed. It was so deafening that I could probably hear the time pass if I focused on it hard enough.

"Do you...want to change first?"

I look over to Nic. His eyes were gentle as they met mine, allowing me to exhale a deep breath. His hair was messy, as usual. The blond color was muted due to the lack of true light in the room. Despite everything, he still looked so gentle.

With all the tension in the room, I had completely forgotten that I was still in my soaking wet clothes from before.

Goosebumps rose on my skin suddenly, chilling me deep through my bones as the attention switched to how uncomfortable I was.