31 - Trouble in Paradise

Sashas POV:

Day eleven of him being gone. No, it was now twelve.

It only took eleven days for everything to go wrong.

As for what went wrong, I have no clue.

My anxiety went through every worst-case scenario, telling me all sorts of ridiculous things that I could've done to make him suddenly hate me.

No, I didn't believe them, but they lingered like an annoying toddler that nagged me every second I wanted to be alone.

None of my texts went through. Nothing after the "okay" I had sent delivered. The green message bubbles haunted my mind as I tried to rationalize everything.

Connection issues? Unlikely, but maybe if something happened in Stohess entirely.

Phone turned off? Also unlikely. There was no way to rationalize this one.

I tried to erase the thought of being blocked out of my mind. I didn't think he'd do that. But considering how today, no... yesterday had went, it wouldn't completely surprise me. The universe was throwing every obstacle at me that it wanted.

What a cruel trick of fate.

However, life went on. I went to class the next morning, I went to work after, and I still ended up at his place regardless of what terms we were on. I hadn't spoken to him all day. No texts. No calls.

Stole cold silence.

I was wearing his clothes around, mostly because I missed him but also because I didn't have much clothing on me. I opted for the spare flared leggings in my car and a navy crewneck of his today for class and work. It wasn't anything fancy, but it was comforting enough. It smelled like him, and if I closed my eyes for long enough and buried my head into it, for a moment it kind of felt like he was here.

I hadn't gone back to my place since my mother was there last night. In fact, I probably wouldn't go back for a while because I was still seething at Connie and Jean. I still couldn't believe them. Men are so stupid, always figuring out ways to mess things up.

I hate fighting with them like this, if we can even call it a fight, but they knew they were wrong. It was ridiculous, and even Mikasa agreed at work today when I told her. She could hardly believe it, telling me repeatedly that I was lying.

I wish I would've been lying. I wish I could've said that I was kidding, but I couldn't.

I couldn't bring myself to tell her about Nic. It hurt me to even think about. I might've lost him. Something was going on and I was in the dark, no flashlight in hand to help me out. It was getting hard. The distance. The time. Everything.

I tried to tell myself all day that if I didn't speak it into existence then it wouldn't happen. This isn't a fallout. We're going to be fine. It was just the circumstances against us right now.

I unlock Nic's house, walking in to greet the familiar surroundings. Everything here felt safe, reminding me of what we had built.

I pass the forest green walls, following them to his bedroom. If any part of the house felt safe right now, it was here. The last place in the house I got to be with him was here the night before he left. I sat down on the side of the bed we lied on, recalling how our limbs entangled with one another as sleep neglected us.

He buried himself into me that night, his body holding me tight. I promised him that I wasn't going to go anywhere.

And I wasn't.

I was here, in the spot I promised him that.

Right where he left me.

____________________________________