26 - Thirty-Five Days

AN: Hi!

I know, I'm sorry. Please don't hate me!

I do want to say that there is a bit of a transition in this chapter that might confuse some people. While Sasha is walking around campus, she's going to recall the end of the conversation with Niccolo as a memory, which is why it'll be italicized. It's not present time because I skipped the whole scene and had it start with what she already knew before I explained. I hope that makes sense!

- J

____________________________________

Sashas POV:

Thirty-five days.

Nic gone.

Gosh, it made me feel sick.

"Hey Sasha, you don't look so good. You feeling okay?"

I snap out of my thoughts, hearing Marco's voice beside me. His brown eyes gave me a concerned expression as I sat there staring at the table in front of me.

I hadn't been focusing in class at all today, still baffled by the idea of not having him for thirty-five days. That number was etched into my brain, killing me more and more each time it was engraved into my brain. A permanent reminder that I wouldn't have him for thirty-five days.

Five weeks didn't sound any better. Thirty-five days sounded awful. Over a month made me want to die. Over one-twelfth of the year sounded too long to comprehend. One-third of a season. Five Mondays. Five Tuesdays. Five Wednesdays. Five Thursdays. Five Fridays. Five Saturdays. Five Sundays. Eight hundred and forty hours. Fifty thousand, four hundred minutes. Three million, twenty-four thousand seconds.

Each variation of the time thirty-five days took up was enough to make me nauseous.

Leave it to whatever higher power hated me enough to take my main source of happiness away from me for that long. I would've rather been sent to purgatory.

"Sorry, just out of it today." I shake my head.

"Did something happen?" Armin was on the other side of me, looking at me briefly before returning to his work.

We were supposed to be applying what Hange taught us in today's lesson to a work we hadn't finished yet. I couldn't even tell what the lesson was because I was so focused on calculating how long thirty-five days were in my head.

I imagined what could happen within thirty-five days. Hell, we established so much within the first thirty-five days we knew one another. People change so much within that amount of time. So much can happen within that time. That's thirty-five individual days where we both have to go twenty-four hours without seeing one another. We'd be completely dependent on electronic communication.

That would be thirty-five days without his house. Thirty-five days where I didn't have to sneak around and lie to everyone in my life about where I was. Thirty-five days I wouldn't be able to use his warmth as a safety net when I got anxious. Thirty-five days without his voice. Thirty-five days without being able to see his eyes. Thirty-five days I wouldn't be able to run my hands through his hair. Thirty-five days I would be without his kiss. Thirty-five days I wouldn't be able to kiss him back. Thirty-five days without his stupid flirty banter that I loved so much but never would admit it.

I think I'd rather gamble my life between a cup of water and a cup of bleach.

"Sasha." Armin snaps me out of it again by softly pushing my shoulder.

"Sorry, nothing happened." I sigh, "I just feel weird today, that's all."

The sketch I was pretending to work on was the one I started when we went to our spot. It was still incomplete, the only part being slightly close to being done was Nic's face. I didn't even want to work on it, knowing I'd be losing him soon.