52 - Present In What's Perfect

AN: Hi!!! Happy New Year everyone! I forgot to mention that last chapter, but I hope everyone is having a great start to their new year!!

I hope you guys enjoy this chapter because this is when some messy stuff starts happening!

But this is for you once again Hange lovers. - J <3
_____________________________________
Sashas POV:

"So, your sketchbook was just...gone?" 

I nod, sitting on the desk in front of me as Hange gathered some art supplies for the upcoming class. As normal, I showed up extra early just to talk to Hange. 

It had been about four days since we'd gotten back from the beach trip. The last few days at the beach were spent with a lot of late nights, drinks, and for me, a lot of time with Nic. We snuck out nearly every night to the hotel and always found somewhere new to explore every night that we went there. 

How we didn't get caught was beyond me, but the time was a nice catch-up time for Nic and I. It was nice to know that the time in the hotel was our little secret and something that no one else had. 

"Yeah! It was the only thing missing in my car which makes no sense!" 

"Who the fuck would want your sketchbook?" Hange drops some paint tubes on the desk in front of them, arranging them in color order. 

"That's what I've been saying this entire time!" I exclaim, holding out a new sketchbook in front of me, "I had to go and buy a new one yesterday, but it's not my sketchbook, you know?" 

The new sketchbook felt unfamiliar in my hands, almost foreign as its feeling wasn't something I had become used to yet. It was a bit bigger than my old one, and the front was made from a hard cardboard material much unlike the old one which had a more expensive faux leather feel. It didn't feel right, but I guess this was just what I had to work with now. 

"You lost all those pieces too, didn't you?" Hange walks over from behind the desk, standing in front of me as they examined the new sketchbook. They slid their glasses back up the bridge of their nose as they looked at the sketchbook, running their fingers across the blank pages. 

"Yeah," I sigh, "I never took pieces out unless it was for a specific reason, so all of them are just...gone." 

I had pictures of a few of the sketches, but there was nothing I hated more than never being able to go back and look at them again. All those pieces had special memories attached to them, time invested in them, and more. 

Countless hours of work and no physical way to prove it. 

What a shame. 

"Well, look at the bright side! You have more space for what creative ideas come into that magnificent head of yours!" Hange pats me on the head before turning back to their desk. 

"Yeah," I mumble, slouching slightly as I looked down at the new sketchbook. 

I couldn't help but feel a bit of resentment every time I looked at the new sketchbook. It was a constant reminder of what happened. It made me slightly nauseous at the sight of it. I miss my old sketchbook, but there was nothing I could do about it. 

"You down to have another spontaneous art extravaganza at my place later? The cats miss you!" Hange breaks me from my thoughts, causing me to look up to see a smile that pleaded for a yes. 

I'd have time to, of course, and a change of scenery outside of what I'm used to. 

"Absolutely," I nod enthusiastically, "I need an art break."