55 - Surface Level

AN: Hello!! Special long chapter for you guys bc it's crazy...

I love this chapter so much and I'm so proud of it! It's one I've been itching to write since I started this fic! (take that as you please!! hehe)

Enjoy!

- J <3
_____________________________________
Niccolo's POV:

Lucky for me, I was able to push Jean out in enough time before Sasha got back. She questioned nothing, thankfully, but now I had to successfully get Sasha to leave without being suspicious.

This was going to be beyond tricky, and I don't want Sash to think that I don't want her here with me. If it was my choice, we'd stay here all night while I got stuff done and just talk. How I wish that could just be the case.

"You look really busy," She says. She sat on the same stool from earlier, only now it was beside me. The kitchen area was packed with multiple orders. With how anxious I was to get all of them done, I was speeding like crazy. About half of them were done, boxed, and ready to go before two o'clock hit, however, there were still so many to get done.

"Yeah," I nod, "There's a lot to do and I might have to stay a few hours later tonight. It's stressing me the hell out, but what can I do?"

The lie slips off my tongue, making me feel sour. I need to stay focused though and sell this.

"Stay late?" Her eyes get beady as they met mine, staring into my soul and possibly through it.

"Yeah," I continue to lie, "These orders are going to take forever."

"How late?" She quickly asks.

"I don't know, maybe ten-ish?" I crinkle my nose at the thought, already knowing that it would probably be much later depending on the drive to see her and Jean and actually talking to her.

I hate lying.

The expression on her face dropped slightly, bringing down all her features. If I wasn't used to her neutral, welcoming resting face, I wouldn't have noticed. The corners of her lips sank slowly, mimicking her eyes as they dropped to the ground.

Lying to her sucks everything good and morally right out of me, leaving me hollow every time even a small one leaves my lips. She doesn't deserve to be constantly lied to, and I don't like knowing that I'm having to lie to her to protect her. She'd be so upset if she knew, and that kills me every time.

"I wish I could help and get you home sooner. You're stressed beyond belief and I've been seeing it on your face."

"Woah, what do you mean by that?" I freeze, quickly clearing my throat before continuing back again.

She can't be finding all of this out right now. There's no way she's catching on...right?

"I can tell you've been stressed," She shrugs, "You've been a little different, that's all."

Different?

"How?" I try to play casual, but even now I could feel my focus shift away from all the work I have. I need to get it together but with her so close to me she can see my every move.

"You're...I don't know...jumpy? You're honestly acting a lot like me when I'm anxious," She chuckles lightly, "Is this place really worth all the stress?"

Everything that'll be safe once this is all over is well beyond worth it. We both win here, and I wish I could tell her that.

"It's my job, I have to be here."