15 - End Us With a Closed Door

Sashas POV:

I looked down at my phone, the ringing sound echoing through the house as I froze. My eyes are dead set on the screen as the phone continued to ring. Fear paralyzed my body, preventing me from being able to answer or decline.

All I could do was sit there. The funny thing about life is that even if you want it to pause, it doesn't. Time goes on regardless of if you're ready for it to continue. It won't stop for you to contemplate decisions, even fast ones. You can't rewind time either, fixing mistakes or preventing situations from happening. 

Life isn't a movie that you can pause, rewinding to your favorite parts and reliving them over and over and skipping the bad parts.

"Are you okay?" Niccolo looks at me from the kitchen, putting groceries into the fridge. 

"My roommate is calling me," I glance back down at the screen, "the control freak one."

My screen goes blank once again, the call request timing out. 

"You can step into my room if you want privacy if you want." He continues putting his groceries up, motioning to a room down the hallway. 

"Thanks, I'll be right back." I walk down the hallway, opening the door he motioned to. 

I walk in, observing the room as I opened my phone. His room was simple with three white walls with a black accent wall that had a large in front of it. His bed sat in front of a built-in shelf that housed a few houseplants, books, and a lamp. His bed was neatly made with white and navy bedding. The rest of the room was simple, matching round metal side tables on both sides of the bed with a black desk by the door. 

Classy. 

I sit on his bed, putting my phone up to my ear as I dialed Connie's number.

My heart pounded inside my chest as each ring go by, anxious wonder filling my head. We hadn't spoken in days, and I hadn't even been home in over a day. 

"Sasha, where the hell have you been?!" Connie answers, desperation in his voice.

"That's not any of your concern." I state dully, "I've been out with friends. That's all you need to know."

"Really?" His tone wasn't amused at all, making me roll my eyes. 

"Yes." 

"Well, are you ever coming back home?" He sighs.

This was a time when I wish I had a pause button. I wanted to pause everything, formulate an answer that I knew would be right, and then resume. I needed to think of an answer, and quickly. 

I could easily be sarcastic, blow him off, and say never again. But I knew that was wrong. I owed him so much of my life, I know I need to give him a chance. 

"Perhaps." 

"Perhaps what?" He drags out.

"I don't know, maybe if you decide to stop being so possessive. You act like my parents. I don't check up on either of you that much, so why am I any different?" I took a deep breath, mentally applauding my bravery. 

"Sasha, I just wanted to prote-" 

I cut him off. 

"Listen." My voice gets louder, causing Connie to go dead silent. "I love you, I truly do. And I appreciate everything you guys have done for me. I would truly be nowhere good without you guys, but I cannot have you breathing down my neck every time I go somewhere. I don't mind communicating with you, that's not the issue. The issue lies when I get interrogated every time I go somewhere or see someone."