chapter 9

I laid in the dark. Completely still. Hoping he didn't come to my bed.

"The Dark Rose." The man said. It was like my body was strapped down and I couldn't move. My eyes were the only thing that could. I could see his figure in the corner of my eye, but it wasn't clear.

"Your owner said you were one of a kind and I would have to agree. Such a pretty little thing." He began to walk closer, and closer. But the closer he got, the blurry he seemed. I couldn't see a face. It was only a voice. Low and sinister.

When I felt him by my side I looked up at him and still only saw blackness. I could suddenly feel his hand caress the side of my cheek. My first instinct was to jerk away but I couldn't.

"Fitz said I could do anything to you. Lucky for you, I don't want intimacy tonight." He said.

And those words scared me more than anything. Because if your not here for that, then why are you here? I could feel tear stinging my eyes and he gently began to wipe the ones that escaped. "Cry more dear. It'll make this go by quicker." He said.

And I did. I know I shouldn't of but I did. His hands went from my cheek to my chin and then to my neck. At first his touch was light. But it gradually got tighter and tighter. Than he put full pressure on my neck, beginning to cut off my air way. He was strangling me.

My body was finally able to move but it didn't matter. I would claw and kick at him, but he didn't budge. And as my vision began to blur, all I could hear was the stupid laugh.

A large bang at my door woke me up out of my sleep. My breathing was erratic and I was coughing up a lung. It was as if I was recovering from not having air for too long. I touched the top of my head and I could feel the beads of sweat. I felt clamy and gross, again.

"M! Open the door!" Robin yelled. He bang on the door again.

I ignored him for a moment and poured me a quick glass of water. Once I drank that, I wiped my head and fixed myself so I didn't open the door looking like a wretch.

"M! It's me! Please open the door!" Robin asked.

My heart jumped a bit. He seemed worried. I walked over to the door and for a moment I hesitated. Am I really prepared to face him now?

"Mary?" His voice was lower. Like a whisper. Did he know I was on the other side of the door? I huffed to myself. I unblocked the door and opened it.

I was greeted with the bright light of morning that almost blinded me. Though I had a window in my room it was blocked by a tree. So I got very little light, even in the morning. But for some reason I prefer the dark. The monsters I can't see are the easier ones to deal with. The ones that walk in the light are the ones that terrify me.

Before my eyes could settle I was pushed back into my room and I heard the door shut. The hand that was on my shoulder moved it way to my cheek, and that woke me up completely.

My eyes shot open and with the very little light I had I looked into his eyes. "Are you ok? I heard you crying a bit last night but I couldn't get in. Why'd you block the door?" He asked.

I could barely comprehend what he was saying. I was focused more on his touch. He held my face so gently, like it was so precious. It was warm. Familiar. Safe. Before I could stop myself, I began closing my eyes and I leaned into his hand.

His thumb began to rub my cheek. "Mary?" He said low again. My eyes fluttered open. And they locked onto his. The worry in his eyes. Those deep blue eyes. How did I not realize how I felt for him?

His eyes began to search mine, like he was waiting for an answer. "I j-just wanted to b-be alone last night." Was all I could say. And I slowly backed away from him. His hand fell to his side, and the look of confusion was now on his face.

"Did something happen with Guy yesterday? Did he say or do anything to upset you?" He asked.

I shook my head no. M if you want him to believe you, get your shot together. He knew it was a lie. He looked at me suspiciously. Before he could ask any further questions, I said, "So h-how'd last n-night go? Did you and G-Guy catch up?"

He seemed frustrated but he just let it go and began to answer my question. "Yeah. But I gotta tell you something, before we go downstairs."

"What?" I asked.

"Guy is gonna be staying with us for awhile." He said. He began to eye me with caution. I just nodded my head.

"Do we have enough r-room?" I asked.

"Well, yeah he'll just have to bunk with one of us. But since he'll be living in the house with us, you need to be extra careful." He said.

"Why not just tell him I'm a g-girl?" I asked.

Robins eyes widen and he immediately said, "No. Though Guy was a trusted friend we haven't seen or spoken to him in three years. We don't know if his motives are pure or not, so I'd rather you keep your distance from him."

I nodded my head again. He began to eye me as silence filled the room. I avoided his eyes again. I could tell he want to say something but I was praying he would say nothing.

"I heard about yesterday. That he tackled you to the ground and ripped you shirt." He said.

I just nodded in response.

His eyes began to squint and his eyebrows started to furrow. He only did that when he was thinking really hard. "Are you sure your ok?" He said and began to take a step towards me, while reaching out a hand.

I took a step back making sure to keep the distance between us. His hand fell to his side again and a look of confusion was back on his face.

Bit I knew if he touched me again, I would turn to mush. I knew I would want to fall into him and curl up into a little ball. And never leave this room. Just me, Robin, and the silence.

"If that's all, I have to get ready." I said with a smile, trying to lighten the awkward mood.

"Yeah, alright. See you downstairs." He said. He turned and made his way out the door.

I finally let out a breath that I didn't even know I was holding. I made my way back to my bad and plopped down on it. I laid my head in my hands and let out a groan.

"What the hell am I to do now?" I said to myself.

It's clear that I like him. But what should I do now that I know. He might still loves his fiancé. And I mean she is his fiancé. But flirts as if he is single. And then the way he treats me....

Does he treat me like that out of pity? Because he sees me as his family? Or because he has the same feeling?

Should I try to confirm his feelings? Just ask him.

'Hey Rob, I've had a crush on you for awhile and I just wanted to know if you felt the same despite the fact you have a fiancé whose probably in mortal danger at the moment?'

.......yeah maybe nows not the best time. Then I'll wait til after the mission. I'm pretty sure we're gonna go save her. And how he reacts once he sees her will coonfirm if he still loves her or not, and if he does, then I'll just keep it to myself.

And until then I'll keep my distance. No reason to torture myself. But I shouldn't make it too obvious.

I can do this. I just have to keep my distance from a man I work, sleep, eat, and live with.

"Bloody hell." I said to myself.

I began to get up and get ready. I did my bindings a little tighter and wore an extra shirt, just in case our guest decides to tackle me again.

I debated wether or not I should put the hood on but there was no point. Everyone downstairs has already seen my hair. I still grabbed the cloak, but I didn't put it on.

I walked over to the door and took a deep breath.

"Here we go." I said to myself and made my way out of the room.