chapter 29

You'd expect me to have the worst dream of my life after las night, but I dreamt of nothingness. There was nothing. No shadow man. No Robin. It was just nothing. And from that alone I could've sworn that I was dead. Though there was nothing I was still scared. I was scared that at any moment, that the shadows man would show up and make me relive a terrible memory. Or I'd replay Robin rejecting me over and over again. Or maybe last night would be on a loop.

.......but nothing every came. It was just the crippling fear of waiting and I couldn't tell if that was worse or not.

A sudden caress to my head caught my attention in the darkness. Then a something cold and damp against my head made my body quiver. I hadn't even realized that I was hot as the sun and the cold damp thing was cooking me down. I sighed.

I heard sudden gasp at my side. "Marian. My dear. Friar. Can you try and open your eyes for me?" He said as he began to pay the cold thing on me. I tried to open my eyes but they didnt budge.

"One more time. You almost got it, sweetie." He said and I did as I was told. And my eyes began to open slowly. The sun began to shine into my eyes and I couldn't help but squint.

"I'm sorry, dear. Let me close that for you." He said and reached over and closed the curtains. My eyes settled on him once and sat back down and I felt so bad. His eyes were red and puffy. He'd been crying and he looks so tired. I tried to reach out my hand and touch his face but jolt of pain hit my bod like a wave.

I groaned. "Don't move. Your gonna be out of commission for a few days. Maybe longer. Now, try speaking. I want to make sure your voice is working properly." He asked

My neck was soar and my throat was raw but I did as I was told. "I'm sorry." My voice came out tough and scratchy, but it was there.

He smile and I could see the relief in his face. I could tell he wanted to to cry but turned away from me and grabbed something behind him. "Here. Drink some tea. It'll help with the the soreness." He said as he guided the cup to my mouth and patted my head lightly. I drank.

Once I was done he grabbed the cup and set it down next to him. And grabbed my hand and held in his. "Robin came by a little after you arrived. He asked if you were here. I didn't confirm or deny it. Meaning he probably knows your here. He has questions and so do I." He said.

"Last night, was the most terrifying night of my life. Marian. You are like the daughter I never had and to see you at my doorstep like that, was almost too much for me to bare. Your clothes ripped and disheveled. Your hair everywhere. Blood everywhere." He brought my hands to his lips and I could see the tears forming at his eyes. "What happened, little mouse?"

"Did Robin tell you about a group of men that were attacked last nigh?" I asked.

He nodded. "So that was you?" He asked. I nodded.

"They were sent by someone from my past.
They tried to....have there way with me, and then take me back to him." I said my voice began to become hoarse and I knew it was out of fear. I cleared my throat. "So I fought like my life depended on it. I wouldve died there before I went back to that man." I whispered.

"How bad is that for you?" He asked.

The tears began to sting at my eyes. "Bad." I said. I tried to swallow them back. "He knows I'm with Robin. He'll kill them to get to me." I said choking on a sob. "I have to leave." I said.

Friars grip tightened a bit, but not to the point it hurt. He shook his head no. "There must be something we can do."

"I know this man inside and out. He will use all of our weaknesses to get to me. He knows I'm with the merry men. He'll kill villagers. He could kill you. I don't want that."