chapter 36

The sound of knocking at my door made me stir. When I looked around I realized I was alone. Much must've left while I was sleep. "Come in." I croaked out.

Robin so walked in with older woman standing by him. She was holding a folded up cloth and trey of the herbs in her hand. "M, this is May. She'll be staying with you for today."

I nodded my head toward her in greeting. And she gave me a wide smile in return. "It's lovely to meet us, las."

"Same here." I said.

"She's gonna change your bandages, while I go downstairs and talk to the guys." Robin turned to May. "When your done lay me know. I'd like to talk to her before we leave." He said.

I began to stand and stretch. I winced a little. "I don't want to argue, Robin." I said.

He moved in front of me but left his hands behind his back. His eyes moved everywhere around me but he refused to look into my eyes. "I just want to talk."

Lord. Haven't we talked enough. I reluctantly nodded my head and he gave me a sheepish smile. He visibly relaxed and let out a breath of air. He looked relieved, he must've thought I would say no......

He backed away and gave me another smile and the looked over to May. "Alrighty, then. Let me get out of your hair." He said and began to make his way to the door.

I stood awkwardly in the middle of the room.

"Why don't we make our way over to the bed, yes? Start taking some clothes off and I'll change your bandages." She said with a smile.

I nodded and began to take off my clothes and sat on the edge of the bed. She sat down the tray next to me and began to organize everything. Once she was done she grabbed whatever was first and then made her way to me. But once her eyes laid on my almost naked body, her free hand shot to her mouth.

"Oh dear. What in heavens names . Friar said it was bad, but.....I've only ever seen men with black and blues like that. And your poor neck." She said as she gawked at my body. Her eyes suddenly went from pity to rage.

"I hope those cowardly bastards got what they deserve. Men jumping an unarmed woman. Hell would be too kind." She said. I couldn't help but laugh. She gave me a weak smile and began to take off the old bandages and replace them with the new ones. She even gave me a nice wipe down and helped me into some clothes. I winced here and there but she was a lot more gentle than the boys.

"There we are, your all gussied up. I'll go downstairs and get Robin." She said as she began to gather the discarded bandages and loading the on the tray.

I gave her a smile as she made her way out of the door.

Soon after, a knock at the door filled my ears. "Come in." I said. I sat awkwardly at the edge of the bed waiting for him to open the door.

He made his way in and shut the door behind him. For awhile he didn't turn to face me. He just stared at the door taking in deep breaths. I didn't know if I should say something or not.

Finally he turned toward me. He seemed......anxious? That's not like him. Is there something wrong?

"Robin? Everything okay?" I asked

"Hmm. Yeah. Umm. How you feeling?" He asked with a sheepish smile.

I smiled back. "A little achey but I'll be okay for tomorrow." I said. I couldn't believe tomorrow was the big day. I'm gonna have to pack some food, water, weapons, and clothes for my travels, once they leave. But it'll have to be light, so I can go quickly and unnoticed.

" ....tonight.....after dinner....once everyone goes to there rooms.....could we go to the opening together?" He said cutting me out of my thoughts. Did he just say he wanted to go to the opening tonight?

I stared at him in awe. "Robin. I don't think that's a good idea." I said quietly.

"I just.....I just want to spend some time with you before you go. Without everyone else around, I mean. We have a lot we need to talk about or we can talk about nothing.....I just don't want you to leave with things between us being....so.....weird." He said. He seemed to unsure of himself and it was a rare sight. Robin was always the type to know what to say and when to say it. And now he just seemed like he was making it up as he went.

I was still hesitant.

"Today and tomorrow will be the last few moments I have with you, and I don't want it all to be about the rescue. Or the next drop to the villages. Just me and you. I swear I won't start an argument." He said.

After a moment of thinking, I nodded. "Alright. But please, no arguing. We doing nothing but being at each other throats these last few days and I'm tired."

A some plastered on his face. "On my honor, I swear. No arguments." He seemed to glow with relief. "Alright. Um did you want to go downstairs and send us off?"

"Yeah." I said. We began to make our way down the steps. I was greeted with a loud group of men arguing about fruit...?

"Are you insane!? Apples are the best fruit!" Said John, as he glared at Guy.

Guy shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know what to tell you man? Oranges will always be better. Apples are just so....basic."

Will began to chime. "I'm more of a peach man myself."

"Now that's what I'm talking about. A man with some sense! Peaches. The worlds greatest fruit. Apples ARE basic. And no disrespect to oranges, but you never know if your getting a sour or sweet one. And im not one to gamble." Much exclaimed.

I laughed at there stupid conversation. Much's eyes labeled on me. "Well, since you think it's so funny, what's your favorite fruit?" He asked.

All eyes were now on me. I stared at them right back. "Grapes. Especially, the green ones." I said.

"Boo!" Screamed John.

"I like grapes. There not my favorite, but they aren't terrible." Said Robin.

"And what's your favorite then?" Asked Will. He probably already knew and was just asking for confirmation.

"I like plums." We all stared at him. That's was a surprise.

"Wow. That's such a boring fruit. Only old people like plums." Said Guy. I busted out laughing.

"No it's not." Said Robin.

"Yes it is." Said May.

We all looked at her and Robins cheeks immediately flushed. I laughed harder and the rest joined.

Once we were done laughing, we bang to say goodbyes. I kissed them all on there heads and told them to remember to keep each other safe. Well, except Guy.

"What no kiss for me?" He asked.

Before I could even answer, they boys did it for me. "No!"

"You heard 'em." I said with a smile.

He began to open his arms. "A hug at least?"

I stared at him. He is helping us. But he could also betray us tomorrow..........

Ah. What the heck. I'm feeling generous. I rolled my eyes. "Don't make me regret this." I said and went into his arms. I wrapped my arms around his waist while he wrapped his around my shoulders. He squeezed me tightly. It wasn't that bad. It was actually kind of nice.

"You smell nice." He whispered in my ear.

Annnnddddd he ruined it.

"Yep. That's enough." I pushed his away.

"Bye, my red headed Angel." He said as he bang to make his way to Will, John and Much.

I just waved him off.

The boys left to meet Friar. And I was left with May at the house. Hopefully everything goes well and no one gets hurt.

I took a breath and turned back to the house. "Alright, time to pack."