Chapter 7 Ruben

My body shakes with pain as the soul I was bound to, is torn away from my own. Every fiber of my being tries to stop my own soul from following hers. My heart twists in pain and shreds, leaving me breathless and hollow. I try to force air into my lungs and stop my mind from shattering.

Sabine is no more. Not even her body remains. Ripped to shreds in front of my eyes by the monsters that invaded my lands. Her blood drips from the hands of her attackers, soaking into the ground below. Her moment of terror and her pleading eyes, were on constant replay in my mind. Her head at my knees sits as a reminder of my failure. She hadn't stood a chance.

Sabine was always mine, my mate. Yes, I was supposed to have shared her. But at the time I hadn't realized that if already in love, the jump-start the mate bond usually provided wouldn't activate. I had presumed myself in love with someone meant for another.

When she had come to me panicked after finding my best friend Sirus to be her fated, I had agreed to her wishes with a heavy heart. Her father would never accept a vampire as the future Alpha. He banished any pack members that had paired with other species, wanting to keep his pack lines pure.

So, we plotted and planned. Catching him off guard with an injection made of a mix of wolfsbane and nightshade. Once unconscious, we had bled him out so he desiccated. Before entombing him deep in a caving system. Sabine had wanted me to finish him, but I couldn't bring myself to betray him further.

I was hopeful that one day when we were long gone from this earth, he would find a way to free himself and find a new life. Apparently, his get-out-of-jail-free card had arrived earlier than we could have ever anticipated. I deserved this; he was my karma incarnated.

I still remember the day her father had taken us to the dragon clan to renew the alliance. Their oracle pulled me aside to tell me my mate was pregnant and her child had a vital role to play in the future. When I said she was my chosen, not my mate, she had laughed and informed me that yes, she was indeed my mate.

There I learned of the glitch in the mating system. The same glitch my daughter had now found, without even realizing. How many years did I waste waiting to claim Sabine when I could have been mated and been Alpha, by the time Sirus had met her? Things could have been so different. I wouldn't have made Sabine turn from him.

As Sirus stalks closer to me, my eyes flick to where Reece has landed on a body pile. He had to know. He couldn't make the same mistakes I did.

Reece? Reece wake up! I hope you can hear me. Listen closely. I see his fingers twitch.

Alpha? Wha...

You are Eve's true mate and so is Darius. She is double-mated. The bond had no need to activate because your souls were already entwined. Protect her, guide her. Tell her I'm sorry, this is my fault, he has every right to destroy me. Do not spill more blood seeking revenge. Don't react, play dead, let them leave and rebuild. Do you understand? This is my last order for you.

Alph....yes, my Alpha.

Sirus's dominating presence settles behind me.

My eyes blur as my soul begins to wither from the tearing of Sabine's soul. But I feel Sirus's strong cold hands come to rest on either side of my face.

Caleb, Eve. Be strong. Retreat and survive. I love you. I bid them goodbye.

I hear Sirus's words as he whispers in my ear.

"Know this before you die. Your beautiful daughter will be mine. I will have her a broken shell. I will beat her, starve her, bleed her, humiliate and rape her and then when she is but a husk, broken and can fight me no more, I will make her love me. I will make her my Queen. Despite your best efforts, one way or another I will have a piece of Sabine. The best piece. She will be the perfect submissive and willingly accept me when I'm done."

His hands press tightly against my face.

Eve! Run! Get...

My link snaps at the same time as my neck does, then there is nothing.

Awww so long Alpha 🥺
If you like it, vote for it :)