Chapter 30 Eve

Stupid! Stupid,Do you see this? I crow through the link to Reece, who grins and shoots me the thumbs up.
I cannot believe she has initiated touch and then allowed me to carry her. I am on top of the world! And then the icing on the cake is her trusting me to keep her safe while she sleeps in my arms.
At the faster pace we were now going the house is coming up fast and I find myself slowing down. I'm reluctant to end this brief experience of carrying her. Garret smirks at me knowingly.
"You can just sit when we get in and keep holding her. No one's going to snatch her from you." He reassures me. My shoulders relax and I speed back up.
We are soon at the door of a large two-story log house. Garret shoves the door open and motions us in, before leading us to the open-plan lounge and kitchen with breakfast bar. He points to the plush grey couches and walks into the kitchen to get down mugs and flick the kettle on. He raises an eyebrow and shakes the coffee can at us, then busies himself getting it ready, as we nod our confirmation that we're all keen for coffee.
I stare at the beautiful creature sleeping peacefully in my arms, while I wait for my coffee to come. Her fine features, plush lips, and long eyelashes are being committed to memory. I knew she was beautiful, but this was the first time I had ever been close enough and at peace enough to truly take her in.
"She's exquisite, isn't she?" Reece says quietly. I nod in awe. Carefully tucking a stray tendril behind her ear. Garret walks in and silently places my coffee within reach on the coffee table. As he is placing Reece's in front of him, Reece leans forward.
"You may want to make him another." He whispers, pointing over to me. I raise my eyebrows and carefully grasp my cup, slowly bringing it to my lips. To my surprise, two hands reach up and craftily slide my hot cup out of my hands.
I glance down at my mate and see her taking a big whiff of the coffee scent before taking a sip. She sighs in contentment and gives me a peck on the cheek.
"You're my hero." She says in a sleepy voice, taking another sip and smiling. "I didn't think I was ever going to see coffee again." She rests her head on my chest happily.
"I've lost track of the number of times she's done that to me." Reece snorts. "She's a caffeine fiend from way back."
"What man in their right mind makes a coffee and doesn't get his girlfriend one!" She sasses back at him.
I cluck my tongue at him.
"Poor form Reece." I laugh and look down at Eve. "Consider it duly noted Kitten." She hums in approval and sips at her coffee, while Garret heads off to make me another.
Eve makes no move to get off my lap and I'm in zero hurry for her to move. Enjoying the hum of the mate bond on my skin and her scent wrapping around my senses. Sleepy Eve is much nicer to deal with than awake Eve.
Finishing off her coffee, she readjusts herself in my lap. Jesus I'm going to need to readjust my pants if she wiggles again like that. Reece bites his lip, trying not to laugh at my sudden discomfort and I send him a quick glare.
Eve clears her throat, bringing our attention back to her.
"I would like to address the giant elephant in the room. You have all been skirting around it since you found me. I want to know about the state of my pack. I want to know if any plans have been made for them and where we, as mates, will be living. I would also like to know if there is any clue as to what they were planning down in those caves. I don't believe it was all about breaking me, there had to be more to it." She pauses, contemplating. "Can we start with the battle and work our way through, so I know what you know?" She looks me in the eye and then Reece. "All of it, my Dad my Mom, my pack, all of it."
I nod reluctantly. I know Reece had hoped she wouldn't ask further about how her parents died, even though he was pretty sure she would.
We grimly start filling her in. She sits quietly throughout. There is no crying as she hears how her parents were murdered. She calmly looks through the list of survivors and deaths from her pack that Reece hands her. She doesn't blink when we explain that the pack house is no longer standing. She accepts it all with an understanding finality.
We explain the elaborate maps that have been found along with some of their plans, in a secret chamber in the cave. She nods as the puzzle pieces begin to fit into place for her.
"So, he wanted me because Mom denied him and it was revenge? But he needed me to break, so I'd be a good little submissive Queen to present to his family. Then he believed his father would hand him the throne after his Dad wins the war? It was all some elaborate scheme to remove the dragons from power and take over as the new powerhouse of the supernatural world?" She pinches the bridge of her nose with her fingers and furrows her brows.
I rub slow soothing circles on the small of her back, while she tries to wrap her head around it. "So now we have a nut job on a power trip to dethrone his father. Has the vampire council been alerted that they have a mad King yet?" We shake our heads.
"The plans were only found this morning, we are still trying to find out how many are involved and what races before we make any moves. There's a lot of files and plans still to go through." Garret explains. She nods in agreement.
"Yes, let's get our ducks in order, but let's not just invite the vampire council, let's invite all the heads of the ones not involved. We can hold the council responsible together and form allies and plans all in one hit. Saves having to repeat ourselves. In the meantime, we need to return to my pack. I need to ensure they are ok and plan the way forward. Can I grab another coffee?" She asks Garret. He grins and nods. Eve's clearly gone into strategy mode. The old Eve stepping up to the plate.
"Of course, my little warrior." He teases. He heads into the kitchen. "You know." He says as he flicks the jug back on. "I thought your name and pack sounded familiar. Listening to you now it's just clicked. You're the first female head warrior. The one the werewolf council challenged?" At her nod, he continues. "I heard they asked you to fight their strongest warriors and you kicked their ass while looking bored out of your mind."
"Well, it was hardly a challenge." She grumbles. Garret lets out a roar of laughter. "I can't wait till you are fighting fit Angel. I would love to see you in action."
"It's a sight to behold alright." I agree proudly. "They had to swarm her and drug her, to take her out. What are your plans for your pack Kitten? Do you have more family that can be called in to run it? Or did you want me to just absorb it into mine?"
"No. Thank you both. I'll handle it." She chirps. I cock my head to the side confused.
"But your pack has no Alpha, nor an heir in waiting. It will perish if it doesn't have an Alpha or join another pack." I explain. Surely, as an Alpha's daughter, she knows this.
"It still has one. You're looking at her." I couldn't help the chuckle that falls from my lips. "It's a lovely dream Kitten but only real Alphas can hold the true power and keep the pack running." Her eyes flash angrily at me, as she rips herself from my grasp. Her eyes glow a bright amber and she unfurls her power like she is fluffing out a cloak. I have never felt anything like it. Power fills her voice as she speaks.
"I am the first-born heir of Lightning Ridge; I am Alpha by right! I stepped aside for my brother, at my father's request. There is no other option but to take back what is mine. The werewolf council and their archaic rules be damned! I lowered myself to only ascend to head warrior, despite my pack's objections to even do that and I have proved myself tenfold. Feel me and tell me I cannot keep my pack! Dare to tell me that I, as a woman, cannot be the Alpha I was born to be!" She snarls.
I find myself on the floor, kneeling and exposing my neck in submission before I even realize I have moved.
Eve pulls her power back in and takes a steadying breath. Looking at me on my knees, she pales.
"Shit, I'm just going to look at the lake for a bit."
She strides to the door and pauses. "You can, um, get up. Sorry. Didn't mean to make you submit." She grimaces before heading out to the porch. I swallow hard and glance at Reece kneeling opposite me.
"Did you know?" I ask in disbelief. He shakes his head, mouth open in surprise.
"I'm just as shocked as you are." He says. I glance at Garret, who stands there wide-eyed.
"She's quite the firecracker." He says. "She's more than an Alpha though. An Alpha can't make another Alpha submit. I think a visit to the Oracle is needed at some stage." Garret taps his chin thoughtfully. "Explains why there's three of us though. We are going to struggle to keep up with her. Imagine how spectacular she will be when she's back at full capacity!"
I stare at the door Eve has just exited. She's more than Alpha alright. The power she holds is mind-boggling.
Garret is right. At full strength, she is going to be amazing. Now I just needed to figure out how this whole 'two Alpha' thing was supposed to work in a pack. stupid move! I berate myself as I pace under a large tree by the lakeside.