Chapter 37 Eve

We sit idling at the crossroad, while Hulk waits for me to decide whether to head to his pack for rest or my own pack to get the lay of the land. I chew on my bottom lip. I know the guys want me to rest, but I am biting at the bit to see my pack.
I

look at Hulk and he sighs, putting the pickup into gear and turning towards my pack, already knowing my answer.

We follow the long road through the forest until it opens up. It looks wrong with the massive pack house gone, the earth still scorched from the fire. What remains of my pack stands in the clearing, heads bowed as we pull up in front of them. The scouts had linked ahead, alerting the pack of our arrival.

It is eerily quiet as Garret helps me down to stand before them.

"Please raise your heads, all of you," I say softly. The eyes start to meet mine, some relieved, some swimming in sadness, some haunted.
"

I am so sorry for your losses, for our losses. Our pack has suffered beyond comprehension. It will never be the same. But I am so glad to be with you once more, so very glad to be home to shoulder the burden with you." I step into the pack lines and am engulfed in arms. The pack welcomes me back, showering me with warmth and tears.

After a while, I step back. Motioning my father's Beta, Delta, and Gamma over to me.

"Walk with me gentleman, we have much to discuss." They follow me to my brother's house. I have to take a moment and a steadying breath when I swing open the door as Caleb and Kasey's scents engulf me.
I

straighten my shoulders and strengthen my resolve, before ushering them and my mates into my brother's office.

Once we are seated, I look at my father's men. Weighing them on their ability to soldier on. Nodding in approval, I begin.

"Beta Charles, have our dead all been laid to rest and the other packs received their dead too?"

"Yes, apart from Silver River. They did not claim back their dead nor acknowledge our messages." Charles says calmly. "There is a rumor that the Alpha is MIA. Marcus hasn't returned there either."

"Their Alpha is dead. He would never have agreed with what Marcus did. I suspect he was killed well before the attack was made." I state. "Where are their dead and the bodies of the vampires?"

"We buried them in a mass grave on the training grounds," Charles responds. I nod in approval. That would certainly incite us to train harder.

"How is everyone coping with their losses? Any that we need to support better?"

"As well as can be expected, Eve. We all struggle. It's fear of the unknown. Some are already packing up for the move to Alpha Darius's pack that we all know is coming, with you being his mate."

"I'm Prince Garret's mate too. Would you all have me move our pack to their castle while I'm at it? Maybe we could traipse back and forth in shared custody?" I muse. Charles's eyes widen.

"You are mated to THE Maroon Bells beast!" He exclaims. I walk over to Garret and stroke his golden mane of hair.

"He's quite civilized actually," I say, smiling as Garret snatches my hand and kisses my palm. The three men immediately get down on one knee.