Chapter 35 Eve

We drive half the day, stopping at Grant's pack for the night. It is my idea to stop. I wanted to thank him and his pack for their help and for supporting my mates in finding me. Grant has been a long-time friend of my father's and a fantastic ally.

At his border, his wolves intercept us but a few words from Darius and a quick conversation through their link, have them waving us through. Grant and his Luna, Monique, are waiting for us on the steps of the pack house.

As Garret helps me out of the truck, Monique rushes to me and drags me into a bone-crushing hug. Making me tense and freeze in place.

"Oh my dear girl, you are a sight for sore eyes! I'm so glad to see you!" I pat her back awkwardly, begging Grant to intervene with my eyes.

"No doubt she's tired my love and she needs to breathe." He pulls her off me gently.

"Oh yes, of course, let's get you all inside and get some hot food into you!" She starts dragging me inside the building, her hand firmly on my arm. Grant rolls his eyes at his excited mate and follows after us.

She steers us into the main hall and takes us up to the head table, where plates sit waiting. She maneuvers us between the rows of tables where the rest of the pack sits in attendance. The pack sits silently, wide-eyed as we find our seating. Garret gaining the most looks. Dragons generally don't leave their territory.

I bow to the pack and thank the men who aided us and offer apologies to their families for worrying them when their men went into enemy territory. I convey my condolences on the loss of their loved ones, slain at the mateless dance. I finish by thanking Grant for hosting us and take my seat.

Grant motions to the pack to continue their meal. I start eating the delicious stew in front of me. Ignoring the conversation between Grant, Darius, and Reece as they update each other on their investigations.
G

arret eats his meal one-handed, the other hand playing with my ponytail behind my seat out of everyone's sight. The man beside me a far cry from the raging beast I brought to heel hours ago. The pack, those that recognize him, seem fascinated by his display of normalcy as they sneak glances at us and murmur quietly amongst themselves.

A young girl approaches the table, maybe twelve or thirteen years old. She gives a little bow.

"Alpha, may I address Head warrior Eve?" Grant looks at me, and at my nod, he agrees. A smile light's up her whole face.

"Grab a chair pup and come around by me. Tell me what's on your mind." I say. I've always got time for the young ones, especially since I spent so much time training them.
I

scoot my chair over towards Grant to make space, only for Garret to scoot it back in his direction making space on Grant's side instead. Reece chuckles as I shoot a glance at Garret, who is refocused on his meal, hand back in my hair innocently.

The young girl drags a chair around the table and parks it next to her Alpha.

"I am so excited to meet you Head Warrior Eve. My name is Rena. I want to be a warrior like you when I grow up but Dad says girls can't be. But you did it. Do you think I can too?" I give her a genuine smile, while mentally berating the narrow-mindedness of pack life. I hear the pack quiet, straining to hear my reply.

"Sweet pup, you can be anything you want to be. Any girl or woman should have the right to choose her path. The old ways are archaic. They are a joke. Humans are ahead of us for the most part when it comes to the equality of the sexes. And yet, here we sit, stuck in the ways of old, with women expected to be soft and meek. Kept only for housekeeping and breeding as our purpose."