Chapter 51

"Please, Kim, just wait a little bit someone will call" James pleaded with his daughter not wanting her rushing to the scene.

"I don't want to wait, Adam may be in trouble" she told him.

"Kim, you are going to wait, and if we don't hear something soon I will drive you to the scene, but I will not let you go alone"he said sternly, not wanting his daughter going alone.

Elaine came in from the front room, her face white as a sheet "sweetie, Sean Roman is here, he said Adam's been sent to Chicago Med" she explained "Sean said he would take you"

"I have to get the baby first" Kim explained rushing to the nursery, needing her son close.

"Sweetie let me keep Adam you and daddy go with Sean" Elaine begged her not wanting the baby out in this.

"No! I'm taking him" she said brushing past her mother.

"Sean, tell me how bad" she asked bracing for his reply.

"Kim, I don't know, Voight wouldn't say, they've recalled all officers" he said as he helped with Adam's car seat, "it's crazy, they don't know much"

Alvin rode in the back of the ambulance with Adam, who was still unresponsive, the paramedic starting an IV and pushing something in the line.

"You need to step on it" he called to the driver.

"Come on, kid, don't you die on me" Alvin said as he held Adam's free hand.

Sean pulled his car into the ER parking lost just as the ambulance pulled up, Kim handing the baby to her dad.

Alvin stepped out of the ambulance Kim rushing towards him, he used his uninjured arm to block her view of Adam "no, Kim don't, let them work, please" he said his voice wavering. He didn't want her to see Adam, his face swollen and covered in blood, she didn't need to see that.

"Let me see him Al, let me see my husband" she tried to fight her way past him, Bob Ruzek arriving stopped her.

"Kim, listen to Al, let's go sit down" Bob said pointing at the row of chairs.

"No, I'm not just going to sit down, I need to see my husband" she screamed, catching the attention of everyone in the waiting room.

James took his phone out and called his wife telling her she needed to come to the hospital, that it didn't look good.

Once he was wheeled into an exam room, they examined him. It was found he had a fracture at the base of his skull, and some facial fractures near his eye. He needed emergency to surgery to fix the fractures the around his eye, and they would need to place an ICP monitor to keep track of the swelling in his skull and brain.

"Mrs.Ruzek?" The doctor called out, Kim rushing from her seat.

"Yes, my husband is he ok?" She asked.

"Your husband is in critical condition, he suffered a major blow to the back of his head, causing a fracture at the base of his skull, along with some fractures around his orbital bone, he needs surgery immediately" the doctor said. "We need to place a device that will measure the swelling around in his skull and brain"

Kim cried out, almost falling Sean rushing up to steady her, Bob just walked outside.

"When will he have surgery?" Kim asked, not really grasping the severity of Adam's injuries "can I see him" she had to see him.

"He's already in surgery, Mrs.Ruzek, we had no time to waste" the doctor said "I'm sorry I don't have better news, we should know more once the surgery is complete in about five hours or so" he said, patting her arm as he left.