11- Roommates

Happy Early Halloween

After a moment of silence, Adora laughed. "Of course! I mean, of course you're roommates and not like, enemies or something."

Scorpia and Catra both exchanged expressions. After a long pause, Catra cleared her throat. "Uh, Adora? You okay?"

"I'm awesometastic." Adora tried not to cringe at the word since Catra was cringing for her. She forced a smile, but it only lasted for a second, since Catra was staring. "What?"

"Just tell me you're uncomfortable."

"I'm not-"

"That's admirable," Scorpia strode over towards Catra in the backseat. The door was open, Catra sticking her head out so Adora could hear her. "If I were still dating her," she said, "and you were her roommate, I'd be nervous. But don't worry; I'm in a happy relationship. This ship has sailed." She put an arm around Catra, squeezing. "Scouts honour."

"We're not..." Catra sighed. "Yeah, what she said."

Adora gestured between the two, and Catra wiggled out of Scorpia's grip, scooting further into the car. Adora and Scorpia finally got inside the vehicle, Adora moving in the back with Catra. "You guys were dating?"

Catra put her hands on her hips. "Yeah, so?"

"Nothing."

"Jealous, are we?"

"No." She slammed the door hard, and leaned her arm on the window. Adora drew a line through the foggy glass, trying to look like she didn't care. "I don't care about that. Why would I care?"

"I mean, it'd be okay if you were jealous."

Adora quit looking out the window, putting her hands up in surrender. "Yeah...How jealous can I be before I become too much?"

"Hmm." Catra rubbed her chin. "You have a good five minutes before I get bored."

"Fine, then, you caught me. Am I that obvious?"

"Yes," said Scorpia. "You were. But I can't blame you. Catra's amazing, and I understand being a little protective of her. I mean, you guys are practically girlfriends."

"We're not using la..." Catra sighed. "Nevermind. I already told her this, and she still calls us girlfriends. So you really shouldn't worry about her stealing me away, when she ships us so hard."

A silence lapsed through the car. After a moment, Adora cleared the throat. "Sorry about the awkwardness there, when I realized you guys were roommates. I was being silly." Adora glanced between the two of them. "Overthinking stuff."

She tried not to think about how awkward things were before Scorpia showed up, but it was hard not to.

"That's a first." Catra laughed, but it sounded stilted. "But seriously, let's go."

☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️

"You okay?"

Adora hadn't even gotten her coat off, but Glimmer had somehow sensed her nerves. Adora forced a big smile. By now, she wasn't so tired-she'd gotten a drink from Starbucks, and it quenched her thirst a little. She had enough energy to bullshit her way through this conversation, right?

She knew what she was doing.

"Whaaaat? I'm fine."

"Okay."

"Why would you even think that? I'm not acting strange; you're acting strange." Oh, shit, turns out she didn't have the energy. What made her think she could do this?