14 -Reunion

Prepare for drama...

The next day, Adora waited by the doors for her friends. She stayed about ten minutes before school started, despite the fact that she should be in class. If she was late once, surely Mrs. Huntara would leave her be. Besides, this was important.

Sure, Glimmer was fine. Adora felt better now that she'd spoken to Catra, but she needed to physically see Glimmer and Bow to feel one hundred percent herself. It was stupid, but she couldn't focus on schoolwork as it was. She needed to indulge herself.

When the car pulled up, Adora jogged over to say hi. Glimmer and Bow were out of the car by the time she arrived.

"Hi, sorry about last night-" Glimmer was cut off when Adora hugged her. Glimmer squeezed her arm, and Adora buried her face in her chest. Glimmer hesitated before saying, "hey...I'm okay."

"I know," Adora mumbled. "I knew you were okay, but seeing you..." She swallowed, feeling a heavy weight on her chest. "I-I-"

Bow joined the hug, pulling Catra into the embrace. Catra stiffened. "I'm not a hugger."

"Come on, we're the best friend squad..." Bow whispered, and Catra balked.

"You are not calling this that."

"I prefer the Glimmer Group," Glimmer said. Catra glared at her, but Glimmer didn't notice at all. The bell chimed so the hug disbanded.

"Hey..." Adora grasped Glimmer's arm, and she turned back to face her. "You'll text the next time you're spending the night somewhere, right?" She sounded like Angela, so Adora wasn't sure what Glimmer's reaction would be. But then Glimmer nodded.

"Of course. I'm sorry I messed up. We lost track of time. But it won't happen again. I promise."

"I should have been more considerate," Bow said. "What kind of friend am I? No, what kind of son am I? We thought we'd be over at Catra's for a few minutes, but then we started watching The Notebook, and I should have realized my phone died, but I didn't. Not until it was too late and I thought everyone would be asleep. But that isn't an excuse!"

"We both made mistakes." Glimmer took Bow's hand, giving it  tiny squeeze. He stiffened at her touch, making Glimmer frown. "I didn't realize you'd would be so upset about it. I mean, I assumed you'd be asleep till morning and we could sneak in. But maybe I shouldn't have underestimated mom checking on me." She laughed, and it sounded uneasy when nobody joined in. "I hear you were pretty upset."

"Seriously?" Catra rolled her eyes, and Adora jumped. She almost forgot Catra was there. She crossed her arms, frowning. "You're almost as bad at apologies as me."

"Really, Catra?" Glimmer rolled her eyes. "Look, I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking."

"Damn right." Catra's hands balled into fists. "I-"

"Catra, I'm fine." Adora shook her head. "I can fight my own battles. Glimmer, it wasn't about you not getting caught. I..." she swallowed, and a heavy feeling settled over her chest. "Don't do it again."

"I said I wouldn't."

"But you aren't saying it for the right reasons."

"Glimmer," Bow said, pulling away. "She's right. We messed up, and we shouldn't have left them hanging. We did promise to let them know, after all."

"I wasn't-" Glimmer groaned. "I apologized. Why can't we end it there?"

"You're such an idiot." Catra mumbled it, but Adora could hear her.

Adora glared at Catra. "You're not helping. I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty here."

"I know now that I messed up. It won't happen again." She shrugged. "Don't you trust that I can take care of myself?"