21- Friends

They needed to kill about forty minutes. 

Catra had work, so she and her friends were running late. In the meantime, Adora and her friends split up around the mall, agreeing to meet outside once everyone arrived. 

While Adora watched Glimmer try on another glittering dress, she kept checking her phone, willing the minutes to go by. 

She yearned for laser tag. It was her happy place, and now that she wasn't grounded, she needed to be there. It always made her feel so secure, and so it was fitting that she'd see Catra again somewhere she was comfortable. 

Everything was going to be fine, and-

"So, are you gonna buy a dress for winter prom?"

"Winter prom?" Adora frowned at Glimmer. "You want me to go to winter prom?"

Honestly, Glimmer's glittery dress looked like she was ready for the prom. It was white with silver rhinestones, and long and flowing. All she needed was a crown, and she'd look like a princess. 

It was no wonder she was Angella's daughter. 

Adora leaned her hand against a clothing rack, peering through the missor attached to the changeroom wall. "I've never been there, and you know it."

"Well, maybe this is the year. And we could be each others dates, if-" she paused, trying to think of the right words -"if we don't have someone else to ask."

Right. Adora grimaced. 

Bow's name lingered in the air, but Adora didn't have the heart to say it. If Glimmer wasn't ready to talk about her problems, then she had to be the bigger person. And something about how she was looking at her hands made Adora back off. 

"We can ask mom tonight," Glimmer added, rubbing the back of her neck. "Promise."

Her hands tightened around the clothing rack. Adora chewed her cheeks. "Why do you want to go so bad?"

Glimmer shrugged. "I just...I wanna have fun before the break, and I know school dances are lame, but lameness never stopped us before, right?" She laughed, her voice a little pitched. "I was thinking we could dress a little formal."

Adora gestured to Glimmer's outfit. "You don't say?"

"What? Too much sparkles?"

"Never." Adora chuckled. "And when we're done, we'll play laser tag. With that outfit, I'm sure to win."

"What does that mean?" Glimmer put a hand on her hips. "I can beat you, you know."

"You sure about that?" Adora gestured around the ceiling, where little glittering lights reflected off of Glimmer's dress. "Aren't you wearing some rhinestone jacket today? Pretty sure I have an advantage."

"Yeah, yeah." Glimmer shrugged, and she put her hand over some of the rhinestones, covering some of the lights on the ceiling. "If it'll make you happy, then so be it."

"Yes!" Adora made a fist, sliding it downwards. "I win."

"You what?"

"I win." Adora laughed. "More laser tag means more winning."

"Yeah, yeah." Glimmer opened the changeroom door. "Ima go get dressed. Why don't you pick an outfit too?"

"But I'm broke."

"Oh, god," Glimmer said. "I'll lend you some. Just pick something, and you can wear it to Winter Prom."

"It's fine." Adora waved her off. "I'll get  job before then, I promise."