24 -Communication

Catra and Adora walked around the mall.

They passed clothing stores-most of which Adora was familiar with, from years of shopping with Glimmer. These shops were where she and Glimmer had bonded when she first came to visit, where she had dinner with her friends after long games of laser tag. She knew where every store was-every coffee shop or clothing shop was still the same as her last visit, save a few winter items that were pushed to the windows. 

Every so often, there would be a recycling bin or seat. As they walked, Adora found one to rest. After a moment, Catra joined her.

It was quiet enough to talk inside-probably because it was a weekday, and most people who were here were older and keeping to themselves. The most noise came from the stores-faint pop music rumbling from the inside. 

Adora could hear Catra's feet shuffle against the concrete floor.

Adora leaned back, resting her hand on the back of the bench. She made her best cool-girl face, her stomach feeling a little queasy. "So...you look beautiful."

Catra choked out a laugh. "Trying to flirt your way outta this, huh?"

"No." Adora wanted to join in, but instead found herself grinning like crazy. "I just...damn, it's good to see you."

She snorted. "You're such a dork."

"But I'm your dork."

"You're so cringy."

"No, I'm not." Finally, she laughed, her cheeks red. She kicked Catra's toes, and in return, Catra tapped her shoulder. "And even if I'm right, you know you like it."

She let go of Adora's arm. "Fine." Catra tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "You're my dork."

Adora grinned. "I missed you." The words tumbled out before she even realized it.

"You already said that." Catra rubbed her arms. "You're really wearing your heart on your sleeve."

"I try my best." Now was the time to talk, and Adora couldn't find the right words. Neither of them could look at each other. Adora cleared her throat, and settled for what she knew best: "I'm sorry."

Catra stiffened. "Don't do that," she said. "You already said that on the phone call."

"I just..." Adora frowned. "I feel so bad for making you feel that way-and I just want to push past this."

Catra was silent for a moment. "So you don't want to talk about things."

"No, I just...I don't want to fight."

"We're not. I'm not mad anymore." She sighed. "I just...you said you were frustrated too. I was expecting you to tell me why."

"Oh." Adora frowned. "I was upset because I was in a panic attack, and you were blaming me for reacting wrong. I-I shouldn't have kept talking when you told me to stop-I know that-but it was still frustrating."

"I felt..." Catra perused her lips. "I don't know what I felt. But seeing you guys talking and getting along over my failings really messed with me."

"Why?"

"Because!" She sighed. "Because."

"I can't help if I don't know the problem."

"But what if you can't?" Catra's hands balled into fists. She shoved them into her jacket pockets. "Fine, I was embarrassed. Is that what you want to hear? I was embarrassed, and it made me angry. I did a lot of cringe things in the past, and you went on and talked about it when I said stop. I thought you would understand consent-"