47 -Tears

"Are you okay?"

Adora was lying on her bed; she had spent all morning playing video games, trying to speed run Kingdom Heart. In fact, she had played it all throughout the night, having had woken up abruptly multiple times. Thoughts of Catra plagued her, and video games were an easy distraction, at least in the beginning. The more she progressed, the more she stopped paying attention to the cutscenes-seeing Sorra and Riku depressed her. 

Why had she chosen this game, again?

Angella sat at the edge of her bed. She had a tray of eggos, and she set them on the bedsheet. "Do you want to talk about anything?"

Adora took one look at the eggos and cried. 

She wasn't sure why. Maybe it was Angella's furrowed brows, or her piercing eyes, or maybe it was just that she was tired because she couldn't sleep, and had been staring at the screen all night. She hoped Dr. Strong was right, and that crying was okay, because they came like a storm, at their own will. 

"Hey, hey, it's okay. I'm here." Angella enveloped her in a hug. She wiped at Adora's eyes, and it was almost like her crying was contagious, because Angella's eyes were moist. ""I'm here."

"I...I know." 

"Did something happen at winter prom?" She asked, and Adora only nodded. Angella squeezed her tighter. She swung her legs onto the bed for support, tipping the waffles. Syrup dripped onto bedsheets. Adora was about to clean it, when Angella shook her head. "We'll worry about that after. You're more important right now."

Adora cried harder. "Why are you like this?"

Angella frowned. "Like what?"

"So...nice to me. I don't deserve it."

"You deserve it, and more." Angella blinked back tears. "I love you. I'm here for you. And you deserve to be comforted by someone who loves you."

Love. Adora bit back a salty laugh. "But not Catra."

"Oh."

"You were right. She and I want different things, and now we're tryna figure out if we fit together. I-if we could want the same things, eventually."

"I think that's wise."

"Maybe we should have never dated," Adora said. "Then I wouldn't risk losing her."

"You can't mean that."

Adora didn't meet her gaze. 

"Maybe Micah and I shouldn't have dated," Angella said. "Then maybe he wouldn't be gone."

"What..."

Angella squeezed her wrist. "But then I wouldn't have had Glimmer, and I wouldn't have my memories of this lovly family. And I wouldn't have loved him. There is no right answer, honey."

"But..."

"You can't change the past, only the future. And to me, it sounds like this conversation needed to happen, or else you would have been more miserable down the road."

Adora nodded despite herself. "But...I'd rather have her in my life than not at all."

"Sometimes we don't have that choice." Angella frowned. "Sometimes, all we can do is wait. Who knows? Maybe Catra will realize she wants the same things."

"And if she doesn't?"

"Then maybe one day you can still be friends."