33 -Past

The fresh air was calming. 

Not that Adora was mad. She needed a breather, that was all. And she had about ten minutes till she had to leave for school, so she was making good timing. 

The sky was a musty blue, clouds covering most of the stars. Thus, the only way to see was through the house lights and the street lamps. Adora trudged towards them. 

She wasn't wearing the best shoes for walking. They were the first thing she grabbed-a pair of uggs that should never have gone in four inch snow. Her socks were wet the second she stepped off her porch. 

She checked her phone. She had about seven minutes till she had to leave for school. 

Adora sighed, as if that would relief some of her frustration.  

Maybe if Adora had made it clearer how much Catra meant to her, Angella wouldn't be feeling this way. No, instead she avoided mentioning Catra for years, not wanting to think about her till she was back in her life, in the present. 

And now her family thought Catra wasn't interested in her. 

She knew she shouldn't feel like a failure, but she did. 

"You forgot your backpack!"

Adora jumped.

From across the street stood Angella, bag in hand. She had a robe on and slippers, and began walking to meet her halfway. Her feet sank into the snow, so she was much slower to walk than Adora. 

"You're gonna catch a cold!" Adora jogged to catch up, grabbing it tightly. "Thanks," she said, and tried not to stare at her mother's slippers. She strode back towards the house, and luckily, Angella followed. "Listen, I'm sorry she didn't make a good impression on you. But you're going to love her. Eventually."

Her face fell. "I should apologize, too. I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions. You care about her, so I should try to understand her better."

"She's..." Adora sighed. "It's hard for me to talk about my past. You know that. And she's a part of it. So i get why you didn't realize it right away." She shrugged. "You might now trust her, but I do. I remember her when we were kids, when we were both in foster care together. And when I left...I'm glad I did, because I met you, but I missed her so much when I first started. She was my closest friend, and then she was gone."

"You never told me that." She frowned. "Am I doing something wrong? Is that why you and Glimmer don't talk to me?"

Adora shook her head. "It's hard to talk about with anyone, not just you. I'm sorry."

"I understand. And I'm glad you're telling me now." Angella's face lit up. "I see why you like her-she's a part of your past."

"It's that, and she helps me when I'm in trouble. Like with the panic attack." Adora was at the door. She held it open for Angella, who's slippers were now covered in snow. "Without her, who knows what would have happened to me? She made me feel so much better."

"Right," she said.  "I am so thankful for what she did that day."

"Me too."

"I know." She smiled awkwardly. It was disarming, seeing her so uneasy. "I should judge her based on that too, if I should judge her at all. You're right, it's just..." She sighed. "I have mixed feelings. I know she cares, because she went out of her way to help you when you were in trouble. But still, I fear you'll want different things out of your relationship, and I don't want you to get hurt."

"But you don't understand" Adora smiled, but it was bittersweet. She'd had the same worries, even if she'd never admit it. "It'll hurt more to do nothing and not have her in my life. So I want to see this through, even if it crashes and burns."