45 -Hidden

"Hey, stranger." Catra looped her arm around Adora's waist, studying her face. "You okay?"

Adora exhaled, her eyes on the crowd. The crowd had gotten smaller, somehow. A few kids were dancing really silly, and something in their eyes told Adora they had come here from their own, alcohol parties. Chaperones eyed those teens- they even eyed Glimmer. 

For her sake, Adora hoped they wouldn't be too obvious that they'd have to approach her. 

"Hm?"

Adora startled. "Oh, sorry. You were saying?"

"What's wrong?"

"N-nothing! Absolutely nothing, why would you think? Oh, look, there's Frosta. Let's go say hi."

...

"...And this is my teacher, Huntara."

Catra took her hand, frowning. By now, Adora had just about introduced Catra to everyone in school. It was all she could do, because talking gave her less time to think. And it seemed she couldn't look at Catra without remembering why she'd been in the bathroom so long. 

She was so beautiful as she smiled. "Hi. I'm Adora's date."

That would have been awesome to hear an hour ago. Adora's grin tightened. "Ms. Huntara teaches me phys ed. You should see Catra play badminton. She's as good as Netossa."

"Oh? What school are you from?"

"None," Catra said. "I only play for fun."

"You should consider," she said. "Schools are always looking for raw talent. Maybe you could show Adora how to serve."

Adora rolled her eyes, which caught a confused stare from Catra. "I know how to serve."

Huntara shrugged. "Yes, of course you do." She sipped some punch-how she did it, Adora had no idea. "It was nice meeting you."

"Well, that was nice. Oh, hey." Adora squeezed Catra's hand. "Let's go say hi to Glimmer-"

Catra stopped moving. "Adora, what's up?"

"Nothing."

"You're being weird."

"What? Me? Weird? pfft." She shook her head. "I'm not-I mean. No."

"If you want to-"

"I thought we weren't supposed to push each other if we weren't ready."

"Fine," Catra said, after a pause. "You're right. Wanna dance?"

"Yes, I mean..." No, no she didn't. Adora sighed. "What am I doing? I can't..." She shook her head. "Fine, let's talk. I don't want to be weird with you. Even if it means-nevermind. What I'm trying to say is...Catra, what are-I mean, what..." She swallowed. "Nevermind."

Catra's steady breathing disappeared."No, what were you going to say?"

"Nothing."

"It didn't seem like that."

"Catra." Adora swallowed. Again. Clearly, there was no going back, even if Adora wanted to. "I'm thinking too much, that's all."

"About us."

"Yeah. About us." Adora scratched her head. She wanted to say she loved her, but couldn't imagine the consequences of speaking them. There was no way Catra felt the same. Adora cleared her tight throat. "What are we?"

"We're us." Catra shoved her hands in her pockets. "Isn't that enough?"

"I don't know." All Adora knew was she loved Catra. "What will happen when I leave for college? Will you come with me? Or will it be just over and we're practically strangers again?"

"I don't like..."

"Thinking about the future, I know." Adora laughed. "When we met, I thought I could be content with us being whatever we are. It's what we've been all my life. But I just...I really care for you, and might I want something more."

"More than promposals?"

"I may want a promise," Adora said. "That we could be serious, and one day live together, or something. Because I want you in my life, I'd love it for the rest of my life, but I don't know if you want the same."

"So that's what this is." Catra stared. "I'm never enough for anyone."

"That's not it!" Adora's raised voice drew stares, but she couldn't care less. "You're more than enough. You're so enough that I may want all of you, as you are, to myself."

"But..." She shook her head. "How old are we? Eighteen? And already, you want to move in with me-that's not fair, to spring this on me all of a sudden."

"I didn't mean right..." Adora sighed. "You're right. I'm sorry."

"But..." Catra shook her head. "I need to think. This is all so much for me. I haven't wanted labels since Scorpia, and that was forever ago. I've been thinking..."

"About us."

"Yeah." Catra sighed. "I don't know."

"Me either." Adora shrugged. "We're such a mess, aren't we?"

"You didn't know that already?"