17 -Im Trying

Turns out, I had enough free time to write another chapter :) enjoy

"Hey, Catra... Just checking in. Haven't heard from you in a while, and after our fight, I just want to work this out."

Adora exhaled into her phone. 

She was on her bed, waiting for Catra's response. It was hard not to. The radio silence put a pit in Adora's stomach, and it was time to reach out. 

Scorpia was right; she and Catra needed to work out their problems or end it. Ending things would hurt so much, but at the same time, she didn't want to keep causing Catra pain throughout their relationship. 

Catra wouldn't cut contact with her, right? It had only been three days, but Adora had expected Catra to at least call or text by now. 

"So, anyway, call me back when you get the chance. I'm sorry. Bye."

"Sorry about what?"

Adora startled. "Jesus, Glimmer. When did you get here?"

"A minute ago." Glimmer slid onto the bed, beside Adora. She gestured towards the phone, and Adora suppressed a groan. "What's up with that? Girl problems?"

"No." Adora shoved her phone in her pocket. "What do you need?"

Glimmer narrowed her eyes. "Come on, tell me-"

"Glimmer," Adora said, her tone surprisingly harsh, "what do you want?"

Glimmer startled. She hesitated, but after a moment she relented. "Fine. I, uh, wanted to make dinner for mom. To apologize, I mean. Do you want to help?" She stared at her hands. "And after this week, I was thinking we could play laser tag. Maybe we could rope a few people into coming, like-"

"Are you gonna make me do all the cooking?" Adora put her hands on her hips, which only made Glimmer frown. 

 "No, promise." Glimmer raised her pinky, and Adora laughed, locking fingers with her. "Great! Let's get to work."

❤️❤️‍🩹❤️❤️‍🩹❤️❤️‍🩹❤️❤️‍🩹❤️❤️‍🩹❤️❤️‍🩹❤️

"Okay, I got this. I just...don't know what I'll cook. What would mom like? Hm..."

Adora waited by the fridge, resting her arm over the counter. 

"She'll like anything you make." Adora played with the microwave, which was set beside a coffee machine and kettle. There was barely enough space for cooking on the counters thanks to all the apliances. Heck, there was even an ice cream machine, still in it's box from Glimmer's birthday.

 Adora unplugged the coffee maker and kettle from the extension chord, setting it on the table.

They had a fairly big kitchen, with enough counter space for five roommates, much less a family of three. Yet somehow, they barely had room to fit all their automated appliances, and their cabinet spaces were mostly used to hide them from sight.

 Honestly, they could probably survive without a second-hand panini press, but at the same time, it was useful when Adora wanted something other than cereal but couldn't afford the time out of her homework schedule. 

They used everything. Well, everything except the ice cream machine. 

Glimmer scrolled through various recipes, frowning. They found gormet pancakes, air fried steaks, french toast, and even tira misu (which was a desert...). They searched for awhile, but no options seemed great. It was sad to admit, but neither Adora nor Glimmer could remember their mother's favorite food. At this point, they had to rely on a) their skills, and b) their instincts.