41 -Honesty

"This is the worst idea I've ever had," Catra said, her voice tight. She clutched her laser vest. "We're not even going to hear each other."

She...had a point. The music was audible from the doorway, but still, Adora put her laser vest on. Doing so made her breathe a little easier. Why she was nervous, she had no idea. All she knew was, the dark lights and laser gun secure in her hand felt like a warm blanket. And she hoped that it was the same for Catra. 

But, then again, maybe not. This wasn't about Adora. Adora glanced towards the exit. "We can go, if you want."

Catra followed her gaze to the door, and quickly shook her head. "At least I'll know nobody can overhear us, if they came in."

When they entered, Adora exhaled. "So-"

Pew!

"Hey!" Adora's hand landed where she was shot, right in the chest. With her free hand, she tightened her grip on her laser gun. "I thought we were talking."

"Yeah, well, I was hoping you'd let me shoot you a few times first. I mean, there's still a score being recorded. But fine." She leaned against the cardbard wall, and released the gun. It swung between her legs, and knocked into the flimsy wall. Catra leaned forward, hand outstretched to Adora."Truce-hey!"

"Sorry, but if you're gonna shoot, so am I." At the look on her face, Adora sighed. "Alright. Truce." Adora sat on the floor-it was hard, and cold, and felt just right on Adora's muscles. "So, uh, what's up?"

"I..." Catra's hands balled into fists. "I'm not good at talking about her, but I feel like I need to."

"Okay then. I'm here." Adora reached over to squeeze her hand. "I can stay as long as you need."

Catra nodded, her gaze to the black floor. To Adora's feet. "You know why I was in foster care, right?"

Adora nodded right back, hoping she wouldn't make her say why. 

"Well, then," she said. "After you left, she took me to court. She wanted custody again..." At that, her hands slipped away, retreating into a crossing of her arms. There were words she wanted to say; it was clear in her expression. But she took a moment, breathing in the music and the crisp air. Without moving around, chasing each other, suddenly the room felt cold, colder than ever before. 

"A-anyway." Catra squeezed her arms. "She has a way of saying things and making you believe it. She told me it was all a misunderstanding, that I was confused, that she would never say or do anything to hurt me, that she didn't neglect me after all-that she was making me stronger." Her voice went thick. "And she'd visit my foster home, and I'd think, 'she's better now. I'm the one who fucked up.' And so I testified in court in her favour."

"No." Adora wanted to hold her, but Catra didn't want that. Her body tensed, and she began to pace the small corner of the maze, back and forth. Each step was careful not to step on Adora. 

Adora swallowed. "You're not saying what I think you're saying, right?"

"What do you think I'm saying?" Catra shook her head. "Last time I let you assume something, you thought I graduated early."

"Fair," Adora tried to laugh, but it came out choked. "Tell me she didn't take you back home."

"She did." 

One word, and everything changed. Catra's shoulders tightened like it was a physical weight on her shoulders. "It was my word against hers, so when she convinced me I was wrong..." She swallowed. "It doesn't matter. She was a fucking liar. Things were the same. She probably just did it so she wouldn't get fired from her job."