43 -Winter Prom

Thank you to everyone who keeps reading my story. It has over 1200 reads, omg. Thank you!!!

It was finally time for Winter Prom. Adora could scarcely believe it. 

It felt like she'd been planning this for forever, despite the fact that weeks ago, she hadn't even wanted to go. But now, she found herself sitting in Glimmer's vanity chair as her hair was done 

Adora still wore a ponytail, of course, but Glimmer made sure to evenly divide Adora's hair, so her part looked symmetrical. Apparently, it was super important, so Adora let her have at it. 

"Do you want any jewelry?"

"I didn't even think about that." Adora blushed. "Oh, god. I feel like I did before my first date with Catra."

"You should. I haven't given you anything since." Glimmer laughed. She ran a hand through her own hair, which was pulled into a thick bun. A rhinestone clip rested on the top of her head, glittering brilliantly. She opened her jewelry box, and offered Adora an understated necklace. It was almost a choker, the chain was so short. One cubic zirconia bead drooped at the bottom of her collarbone. 

Adora hanged it beside her neck. The length felt just right, so she clapsed it around her neck. "It's perfect."

"I know." Glimmer grinned. She placed a hand on her own rhinestone choker. Instead of one tiny gem, five stones adorned her neck. Honestly, it somehow worked. It was so Glimmer that it couldn't help but warm Adora's heart. "How about matching earrings?"

"No." Adora shook her head, and Glimmer shrugged, and was about to put on foundation. Adora blinked too much, so it took an hour to do something that Glimmer could accomplish in ten minutes. She kept thinking she'd be poked in the eye, and would jerk back-that usually got her poked in the eye, not her handiwork.

"You're impossible," Glimmer said. "It's like you don't like makeup, or something."

"I don't." Adora shrugged, and after Glimmer's glare, Adora held her hands up. "Okay, okay, I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. But I like it on other people. Just not doing it."

"You are so lazy."

"Me?" Adora shook her head. "I thought I was a perfectionist. Perfectionists aren't lazy. I just...don't like makeup. It seems like a waste of time to me."

"She said to the aspiring beautician. Hold still, will you?" She sighed. "It's not just a silly, frivolous thing to wear makeup, you know. Makeup enhances features. So it makes your facers sharper, and brings out whatever strengths you have."

Adora raised an eyebrow. "I'm not saying I disagree, but...come on, Glimmer."

"No, no! It's perfect. Take...Your eyes." Glimmer shrugged. "They're ice blue. Using eyeliner and bronzer emphasizes and draws attention to them."

"I see your point." Adora nodded. She glanced over at Glimmer's lips, which had pink lipgloss on. "Can I have lipstick, then?"

Glimmer obviously tried to withhold a smirk, but her lips curved upwards anyway.

She let Adora have her pick. She eventually chose bubblegum pink. It felt weird, like oil on her lips. In ten minutes, Glimmer was done-Adora had wiggled too much to do anything extravagant. But hey lipstick and brown eyeliner was enough for her. 

Adora looked...good. There was nothing noticable in her eyes, no matter what Glimmer thought. Adora didn't see it. But still...her pimples were covered, and there was something nice about lipstick. It added colour to her cheeks. 

Adora turned to Glimmer, and saluted. Glimmer snorted. "What was that?"

"My way of thanking you, I guess?"

"If you were a soldier, maybe." She shook her head, smiling. "Now, do you understand why I like makeup?"

"Yeah," Adora said. "But I wouldn't wear it every day."

"You'll just have to stick to looking at Catra's." Glimmer said. "Don't look at me like that! We know it's true."

"Uh, I uh..." her phone dinged. "Oh, hey. Catra is outside!"

Catra was by the entrance. Adora did a double take. She was so beautiful, dressed in a white blazer. Underneath was a blouse, which was white with golden buttons. Her nose ring was oddly out of place, being silver-but something about it was endearing. It was just so Catra-ish. 

Her hair was curled-Adora imagined that was the work of Perfuma, because Catra was already running her hand through it, messing it up. She smiled. "Hey-"

Adora hugged her, breathing in her scent. "Hey. You look great." She tugged on Catra's cream dress pants. "We match."

"That was my doing," Glimmer said, arms crossed. "I figured it would make a cute photo." She glanced between the two of them. "What?"

Both Adora and Catra had stiffened. Adora cleared her throat. "Oh, uh, nothing! Right, Catra?"

Catra frowned. "Right."

Glimmer glanced between them both, but after a long moment, she shrugged. "Whatever. I'll leave you two lovebirds. I have to get dressed anyway."

After she left, the tension deflated. Adora sighed, rubbing the back of her head. "I guess I'm not smooth with the whole secrets thing after all. What am I gonna say if they want a photo-"

"That I hate social media." Catra leaned on the doorway. "Don't stress. I've been doing this long enough. Let me talk if you need to-"

"You were as stressed as me!"

"Well, you were worrying me-"

"Hey, is Catra there?" Angella called. 

"Yeah." Adora nudged Catra's shoulder, who sat up straighter. "We're just talking."

She appeared at the entrance, Adora's purse in hand. She offered it to her, and Adora clutched it silly. "Thanks." She looked inside, to find the sword there. It made her feel secure. "I almost forgot."

"Why do you have that there?" Angella frowned. "I know it's plastic, but it's still a weapon. You could get in trouble for bringing it."

"I'll leave it in the car." Adora grinned. "I want it nearby in case."

Catra facepalmed. "Oh, god. She's my bodyguard now."

Adora's smile faltered. "Of course I am," she said. "I promise I won't bring it in. And that we'll be back at a reasonable time. I think the dance ends at ten or something."

"Nine," she said, smiling. "Have fun."

Catra nodded. "Yes, ma'm."

Angella raised an eyebrow, but didn't say anything.

"Well," Adora siad, hands on the knob. "Let's get going. I don't want to miss anything."