16 -Heart to Heart

I don't know how often I'll be updating over the next few weeks. I'm getting through a breakup so it's hard to focus on Catra and Adora being a couple rn. I don't know if that makes sense, but it's how I feel.

Anyway, here is another chapter:

Scorpia got Adora home by seven.

Adora wanted to stay in the car.

It was the safe, comfortable option. As long as she was in the vehicle, she didn't have to deal with the consequences of her actions.  

She was being ridiculous. Her family was waiting; Glimmer and Angela's cars were in the driveway, and the upstairs lights were on. Inevitably, she'd have to go in eventually, but she had to brace herself for the humiliation. She was such a failure. 

"Are you nervous?"

Adora nodded. "I messed up so badly."

"There's nothing I can do that'll make you feel better, is there?" Scorpia asked, and Adora slumped in her seat. Scorpia grimaced. "I wish there was something to say. Perfuma was always better at cheering people up."

"You're doing alright," Adora said. "Can I ask you something?"

"Shoot."

"Was Catra this difficult when you guys were dating?"

"Hell, yeah." Scorpia laughed. "Probably worse. I finally couldn't take it anymore, and broke up with her. It was the right decision for me, personally."

"That's not gonna happen with me. I'm not breaking up with her."

"I know." She rubbed her forehead, leaning back in her seat. She chewed her cheeks, and after a moment, said, "I'm not telling you to. It's just... she can be a lot, so my advice is to make sure you're okay when she's not communicating."

"Yeah..." Adora groaned. "I thought we were like a team. That we made each other feel better. That's what Catra was doing today, and I fucked it up. All I do is hurt her. She gets upset so easily-but it's not her fault. She's got trauma. But that doesn't make it easy to deal with." She swallowed. "Why is this so hard?"

Scorpia shrugged. "It sounds like you guys need to work through your problems or break up."

"It's all my fault." Adora sighed. "I could have avoided this if I just kept my mouth shut."

"You can't change that now." Scorpia wagged her finger, and in any other circumstance Adora would have laughed. She looked like a scolding mother. "Things will cool down, I promise. Just give it time. And in the meantime..." she gestured towards the house. "You have people waiting for you."

♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Angella was in the living room, reading. She looked up when Adora entered, setting the book down on the coffee table. She assumed a queenlike stance, back straight and arms resting on the armrest. She smiled. "Adora! You're home."

"I'm sorry about today. I couldn't be at school-"

Angella hugged her. It was so fast that Adora didn't have time to process it. But it was nice, and Adora leaned into the hug. Her throat tightened, and she tried not to remember her birth mother again.

There was something wrong with her. Why couldn't she keep the past in the past?

Focus, Adora. Angela was right there, squeezing her tight. She needed to focus on that. On the present.

"I was so worried. First Glimmer, now you..."

"I messed up." Adora stared at her feet. "But I don't think I could have done any differently. Glimmer leaving was too much for me. It wasn't until I saw her that I realized how hard it hit me. I wish I could have been stronger. I wish I could have saved you the worry."