Chapter 4. Not all that bad

After the training with ghost and then the gun range with Gaz, you helped yourself to the rec room. You had planted yourself sideways in the couch, back resting against the armrest. Letting yourself recollect after the instant training.

Evening had rolled around and the sun had just now parting into the earth. In hand, was your journal that wrote in everyday. You flipped it open to the blank page pulling the pen from between the page. You began writing the events that happen to you today, and how it made you feel. You fell deep into thought until the door to the Rec room opened and in stepped Soap.

"Fancy seeing you here." He sent you a smile as he headed directly to the fridge, opening it to grab a coke.

"Hey Soap." You smiled back acknowledging him as he made his way to the opposing side of the couch plopping down. You slide you legs into a bent position giving soap more room.

"So how'd it go today?" He asked using his finger to crack open the coke can taking a sip before he turned to look at you.

"Awful." You breathed a chuckle placing the pen back into your journal and closed it setting it on the small coffee table in front of the couch.

'How's that? What'd he do?" Soap asked starting to pry

"It's not what he did, it's what he said and how he talks to me. Is he like that with everyone when he firsts meets them?" You asked sitting up slightly cross crossing your legs. Soap placed the coke onto the coffee table and turned towards you.

"I can promise you he's not always like this. There's just something that has happened to him years ago around this time and he normally takes it hard. So I can tell you how he talks and what he says, that to not take it to heart. He doesn't know enough to judge you. Just trust me when I say this. He's the best soldier the 141 has and he's genuinely a decent guy. Just met him at a bad time." Soap spoke watching your body language to see your reaction before your words spoke.

"Okay." You nodded slowly slightly understanding soap. "He always wear the mask? Like all the time?" You asked sincerely curious. Soap chuckled at your question and nodded quickly.

"Sleeps, fights, showers, eats, smokes, does everything in that mask. After awhile, you stop questioning it." He shrugged his shoulders leaning back against the couch.

"I believe it." You laughed shaking your head. Your hands fumbled together in your lap. It was something you did out of being anxious.

"Don't stay out too late, a little birdy said you gotta be up at the ass crack of 6. Sheesh. He's really in his funk." Soap spoke grabbing his coke. "Goodnight y/n" soap finished drinking the rest of the can, tossing it and then exiting the rec room.

"Night soap." You spoke just before he left your vision. You grabbed your journal once more propping it open to start writing once more. You filled up a few pages before you told yourself to stop. Something caught the corner of your eye and with instinct, you took your journal and quickly chucked it towards the figure in the doorway. You were about ready to grab the coffee table when your eyes registered it was Ghost who just dodged your flying journal.

"Bloody hell!" You screeched softly. "You always just stand there and watch people? Fuck!" You spoke placing your hand on your chest steadying your breathe, sitting back down on the couch. A plop landed on your lap, you glanced up at the now up close ghost and then to your lap to see he retrieved your journal. "Thanks" you breathed out clutching the journal.

"How many missiles were in that shipment to FT Hood?" His raspy accent filled the silence. You looked up to see his brown eyes interrogating you to answer.

"Eighteen. The original was supposed to 22 but 4 were defective upon departure. So it was reduced." You spoke keeping your voice low and soft. "It wasn't tracked in radio, Fort Hood specifically asked to keep it on the low profile in case there were ears listening in. We even changed the regular route they take to deliver to and from there." There was a long pause of silence as the words seemed to linger the silence. Your eyes were too afraid look up to see ghost.

"How long have you been doing this?" You asked breaking the cursed quietness that swarmed the Rec room.

"Too long." He huffed. "6 am don't forget." He finished walking to the fridge to grab a water before exiting himself. You took that as your queue to head to bed yourself.
——————
Your alarm blared loud and proud at 5:30am which gave you time to wake up in peace before you had to endure whatever you were to endure this morning with the Lieutenant. You got dressed and headed outside where the cold morning air rushed your body sending goosebumps all along your arms.

You wrapped your arms around yourself to keep in the heat while you walked to the field. A thick fog coated the trees that wrapped in the base, the grass beneath you, still wet with the morning dew. Your eyes caught ghost standing in the distance waiting and you knew that was your queue to hurry your pace.

"You must be warm in that mask, must be nice." You half joked as you approached fighting the strong breeze that shifted passed you. Of course, there was no chuckle or response.

'Really isn't a morning person is he?' You thought.

'No he's not an anything person. Just a cold brut'

"We gonna make progress or are you going to waste my time?" He spoke watching you shiver.

"Oh sorry, I know you'd rather be wankin off in your room. My apologies." You remarked half annoyed with his first sentence of the day.  "Let's just get this going." You ended taking a step back to get into stance. You told yourself you'd one way or another attempt to make contact. All you'd have to do was mirror his movements. Learn his strategy, make him the predictable one.

'Yeah that's not happening' you thought to yourself as you took a deep breathe before trying your first attack.