Chapter 17. Too long

A loud obnoxious pounding came blasting from the outside your bedroom door. You rolled over slamming your pillow on your ear to try and drown out the 'knocking'. Hoping they eventually go away. But they didn't and they continued to knocked.

"Oh my god! WHAT?!" You screamed from your bed.

"Damn, I traveled all this way to see you and that's how you do me. Ouch"

You sat up quickly, staring at the door trying to register the voice. You shook your head slightly furrowing your brows trying to put a name to the face.

"Okay I guess I'll just leave then..." the voice teased. You immediately hopped up scrambling to the door. You grabbed the Knob swinging it open.

"Reggie Holy fuck! What are you doing here?" You beamed throwing yourself at Reggie giving him a hug. He chuckled and returned the hug. You pulled back a smile on your face. "Did you blow up my babies and you're here to render the bad news?" You joked.

"Yes." He said his face immediately deadpanning which quickly caused your smile to drop.

"Reggie." You asked scanning his face for any type of smirk, twitch, anything that could show you he was joking. "Oh my god." You exhaled placing a hand over your mouth. Seconds later, a laughter erupted from Reggie as he tossed his head back. "You asshole!" You hissed your smile rising your on face again.

"No but seriously? What the hell are you doing here?" You asked cocking your head to the left lazily.

"Shepard sent me to come check up on you. See how you were handling things. After what happened. After he refused to take you off 141. He got really eery about it. Said I needed a day off anyways. I've been working non stop since he took you away from me." Reggie spoke pretending to faint from exhaustion.

"That's odd, never thought Shepard was the type to give a shit." You hummed.

"Yeah right." Reggie chimed. "Anyways! It's been what? A month and a half, almost 2. How the fuck are you?" He smiled.

"Let me get changed and we'll go get breakfast or something." You smiled warmly.

"Sure thing! I'll be down the hall, hurry up." He nodded stepping out of your room turning to walk down the hall. You rolled your eyes closing the door, making your way to dresser.

———

"Okay so tell me, what's it like to be apart of the special Task Force 141?" Reggie teased taking a sip from his styrofoam cup.

"It's... eventful to say the least. The guys were very welcoming....." you paused slightly "well most of them. But they worked their ass off to get me to where I am today. And I'm super thankful for them."

"What do you mean most of them?" Reggie lowered his brow.

"Yeah one of them was super stand offish at first. But it's okay now!" You smiled placing your used napkin on your empty tray. You both had left the base to get some tacos from the shop in town, bringing it back to base to eat. You two sat at a word down picnic table that sat just outside the base.

"Do I need to talk with the mother fucker?" Reggie growled playfully but also in a serious manner.

"No Reg. It's okay! We're all great now! Really, theyre like my big brothers" You spoke your voice trailing off, cringing at your statement.

'Brothers? That's bull.' You thought to yourself.

"Alright, just let me know" Reggie spoke in a tone where he'd always have you back.

"So how's my missiles? You taking care of them well?" You spoke changing the topic of the conversation.

"Surprisingly yes." He laughed "I actually think they're looking better than when you were tinkering with them."

"Oh bullshit." You nearly scoffed at his comment.

"Oh how dare you doubt my abilities to take care of your babies." You said placing his hand on his heart.

"What? No invite smalls?" Soaps voice interjected from behind Reggie's back. You shot your head to look around Reggie to see Soap and Ghost walking up to you guys. Ghosts eyes burning directly through Reggie onto you.

'Was he jealous'

There was no sly remark about soap calling you smalls. Or any remark for that matter. He looked pissed.

"Hey soap! Hey ghost" you smiled warmly at both of them. "This is Reggie. He's my right hand when it comes to making missiles." You spoke glancing between the three of them. Ghost's stare bleeding directly at Reggie.

Soap extended his hand to shakes Reggie's, in a friendly manner. Reggie then held hand out to Ghost's who made no attempt to return the shake. His eyes fluctuating between Reggie's hand and his eyes.

"Alright...." Reggie's mumbled acknowledging ghosts refusal, noticing the tension.

"What brings you here Reggie?" Soap asked adjusting his stance trying to ease the tension between Reggie and Ghost.

'God it's bad if he picked up on it too.' You thought glancing at ghost who was now looking at you.

"Shepard sent me. Well more he told me to take the day off and I asked if could request to come see y/n. He granted it. Said it'd be good for me to check up on her." Reggie spoke and almost immediately ghost finally spoke up

"She doesn't need to be checked up on. She's fine." He retorted and you were taken back by his sudden tone. "Why are you really here?" He asked raising his aggravated volume.

"Ghost." You interjected sending him a warning glance which he completely ignored.

"Y/n it's fine." Reggie spoke in a calm voice before turning his attention back to ghost. "I told you. I just came to see her. That's all. I don't know why you're getting at."

"Well you saw her, she's fine. Why are you still here?" Ghost continued.

"Simon, come on." Soap pleaded trying to get ghost to relax.

"Reggie, I'm so sorry" you apologized profusely to him.

"No y/n it's alright really, they're just like protective brothers. Like you said."

Well that did it. You've never seen a look like that from ghost. Or from anyone. His eyes shot directly to you. Oh he was pissed.