Ice Skating | Day One

it's just you and the doctor. the others wanted to be home for the holidays but you wanted to go skating. so she took you to the one place you had been dying to visit for ages. who knew she was such a good skater.

based upon my 25 days of Christmas prompt list, found on my tumblr, sundayrubyss

-x-

look this is posted a WEEK early, but i couldn't help myself - i was excited. i hope y'all want to join the prompt list too!

-x-

"Shut up." The words had tumbled out of your mouth as soon as you stepped foot outside of the TARDIS. "Shut up!" Your voice got higher and your hand reached out behind you, flailing in the air for a second, as you tried to find what you were looking for. Fingers finally managed to grip the fabric of the Doctor's coat. "Shut the fuck up!" You tugged on her sleeve a couple of times and you heard the Doctor grunt, as she shut the TARDIS door behind her.

"I haven't said anything yet - " You turned around, the crisp, cool air had already started to make your cheeks red. You could feel your nose start to freeze. The amused look on the blonde's face contradicted her annoyed tone at your choice of words. The Doctor thought that the look on your own face was worth getting smacked about a bit.

"Doctor - New York!" You had been begging for weeks to see New York City during Christmas. It had probably been one of your most requested destinations. "The New York!" The Doctor had scoffed at the suggestion early on. You want to visit the most human place in all of history - all of the time - all of the galaxy? Yes. She had suggested New New New York City of the 35th century, they apparently had amazing Broadway shows, but you had declined. It had to be the 21st century or nothing. You had never experienced snow, you had also never been to New York City. It had to be special and it had to be during a time that you recognised if anything just so you could show your parents the pictures.

"I know I said I wouldn't -" The Doctor continued as she gently pried your hand off her sleeve, to loop your arm through hers. The others had wanted to spend the weekend with their families for Christmas, you KNEW that you could stretch it out for one more week - Christmas was always happening when you travelled with someone who owned a time machine - but you could feel yourself start to become exhausted. You needed a break soon. "But those puppy dog eyes you've been giving me..." You shoot her a look as the pair of you start off, moving away from the TARDIS and onto the footpath, the light snow crunching underneath your feet.

"They weren't puppy dog eyes." You grumbled. The Doctor huffed a laugh. You just realised that you had been wondering why she had suggested wearing the thickest coat you could find. Now you knew why it was lightly snowing and it was the most amazing thing you'd ever seen. You couldn't take your eyes off the sky. "But look -" You eventually forced yourself to look away, otherwise you'd be walking into everybody. Holding out your gloved hand, you watched as a thin layer of snow started to gather. "Actual proper snow."

"Alright, just cause the last couple of times have been the result of debris -" You laughed tightening your arm around the Doctor's, stepping in closer to her side, trying your best to not get in people's way. It was then that you realised what the Doctor was wearing. Or lack thereof. She was still wearing her coat, with a jumper and her scarf on. You still found it hard to believe that her coat was keeping her warm. But it was giving something off, as you kept getting closer.

The walk down Fifth Avenue was something. It had been a while since you had seen that many people in one place before. And here you thought your home town's city was busy. That was nothing compared to New York. You clung onto the Doctor, who knew where she was going for once (didn't even have her sonic out - seemed that it was finally a normal trip), as you let your eyes wander around the tall buildings. The Christmas lights were magical, the Cartier building was magical. You were lost in the lights and the sounds, cars honking, people laughing, talking. It was so incredibly human and you adored it. Passing monuments in their own right, the Doctor explained their history, which then would turn into her explaining an old adventure she had. Coming to a stop at the crosswalk just before St. Patrick's Cathedral, you turned to the Doctor.