accident. (jessica!reader)

"and how many times do i have to tell you, it was a god damn accident. " you knew that you were royally screwed this time. you didn't think that the cops would be there and you certainly didn't expect the alien to turn you in as well. its eyes turning pink as it smirked at you from outside the cop car as you were driven down to the station, there was no evidence that suggested you had killed the bloke - but well you had the finger pointed at you.

ryan had told you to wait for the doctor - that she had a plan and that said plan was going to make sure the ... andorian would be taken care of. other wise, in words of the doctor, it would go home. but that bloody thing had already killed one too many people and you were right there - you had the opportunity.

you just hadn't planned on the andorian killing someone, ryan getting hurt and for you to take the blame for it.

the detective that had walked into your interrogation room was a hard son of a bitch, she'd been on your case for the last couple of months - ever since that first night you had run into the doctor. you knew that she didn't believe a word coming out of your mouth, after throwing a light brown file onto the desk in front of you. " john raymond, the body we found in your office slash apartment a week earlier. " you knew that that body would come back to haunt you. another file was chucked onto the table. " a john doe who was found with a broken neck just a few hours earlier. " one more file was chucked onto the desk, one that you knew the doctor would scold you for allowing to be created in the first place. " ryan sinclaire, your friend being interrogated down the hall. " your nose twitched, another file with your first name written across the spine in black sharpie. " and [y/n] - "

" look i don't know what - " and the last file dropped on top, with your last name on the spine, it was somehow bigger than the first.

" [l/n.] " the detective leaned forward and she gave you a hard smile. " you've been a real pain in my ass for a whole month, you know that? "

" am i being charged with something? " you'd seen aliens from another world, a detective wasn't going to scare you. your wrists were starting to hurt as you pulled against the cuffs once more, you knew that you couldn't get out of them - but that didn't stop you from trying.

" not yet. " your eyes narrowed. " but you might have interrupted a city-wide investigation. " god that was a load of bullshit - the andorian wouldn't let it get bigger than a few blocks and you also knew that the doctor would stop it before it really got serious. " you stole evidence from my crime scene. " the detective responded. you sniffed and straightened up in your seat.

" don't know what you're talking about. "

" and you got my one lead killed. " that caused you to pause. licking your lips, you looked down at the desk and shrugged - ryan had been right, you should have waited for the doctor, that lead would probably still be alive if you did.

" i was trying to help him. " before the detective could say anything else - the door all but swung open and you raised your head, only for your heart to jump in your chest.

" miss [l/n] ! " the doctor stood in the doorway - you couldn't read the expression on her face, but you knew that it wasn't good. " there you are. " her hazel eyes turned to the detective, who looked a little more than pissed off at the interruption.

" and who the hell are you? " she questioned, the doctor quickly stepped into the room and whipped out the psyche paper. you watched as the detective's eyes narrowed at the piece of paper and then looked to the doctor. " commissioner ? " the doctor didn't give anything away, either she had planned for it to say that - or she had one hell of a poker face. " we got no word about the commissioner being replaced. "

" first day on the job - it was a sudden change. " the doctor expertly lied, shoving the psychic paper back into the inner pocket of her coat and gently started to push the detective out of the room. " right and if you would kindly leave, i'll be taking over this investigation. " a brow raised on your head as you watched the detective try to argue but the doctor promptly shut the door in her face.

the room filled with silence. you licked your lower lip before you tugged on the cuffs once more. the silence was a lot worse than what had just been happening - you could tell by the way her shoulders were tense and the fact that she hadn't turned around from the door, she was pissed.

" you wanna get me outta these things, " you mumbled. " i think they're cutting into my skin. " the doctor heaved out a sigh, before she turned around and pulled out her sonic screwdriver. oh god. she was mad at you. " how's ryan? " you had to make conversation before the silence ate you alive - you had no idea that in the short span on knowing the alien, your whole life would change and the perspective you had on said life would as well - though you still drank the same amount of alcohol as usual.

" he's fine. " her voice was tight and her jaw was set. the cuffs gave way and the doctor shoved the sonic back into her pocket, you rubbed at your raw wrists and coughed slightly. " there was no evidence tying him to the crime scene. " her hazel eyes finally caught yours and a lump formed at the back of your throat.

" it was an accident. " you repeated yourself. standing up from the chair before crossing your arms over your chest.

" an accident that didn't need to happen. " her words held a bite and you knew that she was seriously mad at you for putting, not only yourself but also ryan in danger. " i told you to wait for yaz and i... " she wasn't looking at you anymore but the files on the desk. " just ... wait. " she mumbled now - ignoring the one with your name on it. " honestly, it's like i have a face that no one listens too again. " the doctor shifted her upper body and turned around, reaching for the front pocket of your jeans - where you had placed your phone once more, and if she wasn't mad at you - you would have asked her to take you on a date first - pulling out your phone, only to take pictures of one of the pages of the files.

the doctor straightened up once she was satisfied with the amount of photos she had taken - no longer looking like she was ready to drop you off back home, but a lot more calm. holding out your phone, you took it with a narrowing of your eyes. " what? "

" just - don't do that again, [y/n]. " she murmured. hazel eyes staring into yours and you couldn't help the faint blush that crept up onto your cheeks. " i handle the excessive amounts of alcohol. " she continued, grabbing your hand and then leading you towards the door and out into the hallway. " but i won't have you putting my friends at risk. " you wandered down the narrowed hall, towards the other interrogation room, the one you knew still held ryan.

" shit. " you hissed under your breath as your hand tightened in the doctor's. god, you liked it so much better when all you did was figure out if husbands were cheating on their wives, drank an awful lot - to help you fall asleep and then wake up again to do it all over.

the doctor was changing you ...

you didn't know if that was a good thing.