achtundsechzig

"hyung...i missed you so much..."

after a long day of producing tracks for clients galore and finally returning into his quaint dorms to finally rest, being suddenly attacked in a tight hug from his crying, emotionally unstable neighbour was the last thing in jisung's mind.

jisung merely fell helplessly silent as he let the younger cry in his arms, his arms locked around his nape and his face buried in his shoulder. few moments passed by as he stood still as a statue, before chenle let go, wiping his tears away. "i...i-i'm sorry for that..." chenle sniffled as he drooped his head down.

"it's fine, but what happened...?" jisung asked gently, worried for chenle as he held his hand in a slight grip, for the younger replied with a mere 'nothing' and that he had missed the older even though he only went off for less than a day.

"daddy!" jisung heard the familiar high-pitched voice of his daughter, running to be held in his arms again. seeing bae's sudden arrival, chenle moved away to let her jump into her father's arms, excited for who knows what reason. "can we set up the tree now? please, please?"

jisung stopped as he thought for a moment, finding some sense in bae's request. it's already mid-december, and they have not put up a christmas tree yet, so it does make sense to put up a tree at this time. he beamed at the child as he spoke out his approval. "sure, it's already time, so..."

"yay! can we bring along aunt lele too?" bae queried another question, to which the answer was a clear yes. jisung nodded in the affirmative as he glanced at his neighbour, whose expression slowly curled into a smile at that.

(a/n: btw the start of this fic takes place during april, so...do the math lmao)

jisung kept the child down as he beckoned chenle to come with him, to which he happily heed, albeit having the difficulty to walk. jisung crouched down at a box tucked behind a table, pulled it out while simultaneously coughing in the process as the dust went everywhere, and opened the cardboard to find a tree stuffed inside.

bae on the other hand, found another box filled with fairy lights which looked as if it had not been used in decades. jisung pulled out the tree and set it up near the couch, before moving back to the box to find the ornaments. bringing a bag which clinked as it moved slightly in the air as he held it towards the child, who happily started to scrounge the bag to find stuff to hang on the tree.

"now, bae, don't be hasty, give some to aunt lele too..." jisung beamed as he stated to the child, who was more than happy to share her stuff with chenle. she kept the bag on the floor and pulled on his hand, trying to pull chenle towards the tree. snickering to himself, chenle pulled himself towards the tree, and started to decorate the tree as bae gave him the decorations.

within a few minutes, the tree was chock-full of glass ornaments, gleaming in the soft evening light, although the main source of luminescence was missing. jisung wrapped the fairy lights around the tree, plugging it to a power source nearby, and switched it on, letting the tree twinkle in all its glory.

bae jumped in excitement as she looked longingly at the lights blinking periodically on the green mess, while the two adults snickered amusingly at the child being all excited albeit the fact that christmas was not there yet, until she started to speak out.

"mommy would have loved this...right...?"

jisung and chenle stopped at that sentence as they heard the child sniffling.

jisung drooped his head down as his face manifested a similar expression of the child's, distraught yet subtle. he stood silent as melancholic silence filled the room, which ended up in chenle who can save the situation. sighing, chenle approached bae and crouched down with much difficulty, back hugging her as he did.