~ A Sinister Sparring: The End ~

Leaves crunched underfoot as the quirky quartet ambled along the last of the forest path. The emerald eaves of an impressive manor could be seen a distance before them. After escaping the castle dungeon, they finally arrived at the back gate of Duke Gavin's mansion.

Cedric led their way, having recognized the address. His ears perked to attention as he surveyed the empty gate posts. There was seemingly no one in the vicinity, not even guards to protect the shining metal gates that surrounded the estate. More shockingly, the eight-foot tall entrance threw itself open as soon as the group approached.

"So he has been expecting you." Nathaniel humorously proposed, tapping a crumbled paper within his hand. He had been entrusted with the note to prove his usefulness, given the amount of times he'd tripped over his feet and delayed their journey.

They frankly did not require the written address, as Cedric vaguely knew the path to their destination. He easily led them through the forest using his keen senses, avoiding the eyes of any that may be looking for them. Luckily, no one was at the moment.

"Let's hurry inside. The eighth hour is upon us." Stein murmured with a gruff voice, as the right side of his body reflecting the sun overhead. They faced northward, drawing farther away from the royal castle and subsequently, Sammy's lair somewhere south. If the king's guards ever followed them, it would be after returning from their search of the wicked fairy. There was plenty of distance between them.

As time progressed, his condition further deteriorated. Legs as stiff as iron poles and eye shutters unable to fully lower now, grime trapped within many of his fine crevices. Lacking proper tools and necessities in their ragged states, the others could only watch on and occasionally assisted the increasingly immobile man.

They only hoped the wonderful wizard, as he was called, held a remedy for Stein's worsening state. It was said the man could grant any one wish a person may want. No one truly dared to approach such a high-status individual and test the theory though, leaving it as a mere rumor. Nevertheless, you'd often find Gavin providing solutions to the kingdom's trickiest predicaments. He was hailed as the king's most competent vassal, renowned by many.

Kallie made haste down the dirt path and through the gate, worried for the wellbeing of his ragtag group of convalescents. Their time was limited and they each had their own issues that need solving.

Cedric was hot on his tail with anxiously twitching whiskers and a hyper-vigilant gaze. Despite his own inabilities, Nathaniel took the time to carry his friend, shouldering Stein's weight along on his sturdily framed back. He was made forty percent with wood, after all. With this, the four soon traversed deeper into the duke's large estate.

Upon entering the grand double doors of the manor, Kallie knew instinctually that he'd find the man they were looking for in the center of the structure. He frantically waved a hand to the lion guard behind him, rushing the other into leading the way.

A crisp, earthy scent wafted along the extensively decorated halls. Cedric resolutely followed it, the clack of his clawed feet hitting the tiled floor causing Kallie's heart to beat louder. The blonde found that he could sense it as well, the smell spreading fervently as they plodded toward the manor's center.

The scenery they perceived similarly became more beautiful as they passed by. Stained glass windows filtered colored light into the glossy hall with not one visible speck of dust. It was a shame neither pair of them cared for the carefully adorned interior.