[Chapter 5]: The First Meal (2)

"Are you kidding?" Kallie almost yelled. Of course, Kallie had no idea that he was being called a rodent in their minds. So he went and told his honest opinion after tasting the food, ignoring their glares.

The dish was just so hard to describe, but it simply could not be called good. Something about the broccoli just affected him weirdly. And he usually loved broccoli. He wasn't sure how to answer accurately, so he said it in the simplest way possible. "It's amazing. How did you get the broccoli like that? I love it."

After complimenting the flavorful meal, he scoured their faces for any reaction. It was a fixation he had when he used to make food for Jackson, always looking to see if the latter liked the meals he made each day. Even though Kallie wouldn't need to do that anymore, it seemed he still had the habit. Though, he technically was in the opposite position right now.

"You think it's good?" Trevor questioned in disbelief, thinking that he hadn't heard that right. Now, everyone at the table looked up at the blonde, surprised by his answer. Even they were not so earnest when complimenting Trevor's cooking.

"Why are you so surprised? This is the best casserole I've ever tasted!" He filled his plate full for the second time with such energy, that he even shocked himself. But what can you do when you're an avid broccoli lover and there happens to be some very good broccoli before you? Along with chicken and pasta!

On the other side of the table, Rowan had a complicated expression. It seemed as though he was contemplating whether he should be relieved or angry. Relieved that one of his lover's cooking was complimented so genuinely or angry at the fact that a man he wanted to hate was the one to give the flattery. It was easy for Kallie to read his expression, since it was one Jackson used to make often, for faintly similar reasons.

The fierce-looking guy just shrugged and went back to eating. Everyone else was preoccupied with things only they knew. Mycah, however, had his gaze locked onto Kallie for the remainder of dinner. He was even more impressed with the cutie since he had unknowingly boosted his big lover's confidence in something he'd never admit he loved to do. As a fellow baker, he knew when someone wasn't self-assured with their creations.

What Mycah didn't know though, was that it was all the more obvious to Kallie how satisfied he looked at the moment. The blonde could also see a small smile playing on Trevor's lips, which he was trying to hide from the others. But Kallie's eyes were too sharp, having needed to pick things up quickly to avoid angering Jackson.

Speaking of Jackson, he was thinking of the man way too much when he should be forgetting. Kallie had already left that toxic relationship behind, there was no reason to think of him now. The skills he had gained were not because of his ex-boyfriend but due to himself. Just because he used them for Jackson all the time, didn't mean he learned them for the sole purpose of the latter. They belonged only to him now.

"That's right, I haven't introduced you to everyone yet." Trevor proclaimed suddenly. Mycah, the only one that was listening, rolled his eyes. It had, after all, already been some time since the blonde got here. Yet, only now he was being properly introduced.

"Here's Mycah, you've met his cat Croissant." Trevor pointed at the dark-haired man in front of him, who gave Kallie a peculiar look when the latter looked over. A distinct meow made its way over from the little tabby, who was chewing down some cooked chicken of his own on the floor, after hearing its name.

"Next to him is Stein. As I hope you can see, he loves reading. Every single second of every day." This was indicated towards the grey-eyed man directly before Kallie, he quite literally had a book in his hands. He looked up when he was called out, and though he showed no expression, his eyes held a softness that the others didn't have. It was like the time he pointed out the first aid kit.