CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE: MAMA'S DINNER

CHICAGO, IL

~ KAYDENCE YOUNG ~

I opened the door slowly to prepare myself for what's next. I looked to see my mom sitting down at her vanity brushing her wig. I noticed the thinning of her real hair. Made my heart melt even more.

"I can help you Mama." I walked up behind her. "You don't have too-" She tried to say. "No I want too." I looked at her in the mirror. She looked back at me through the mirror.

Mama's hands were shaking while she was giving me her wig. I brushed off my question in my head to proceed to help her.

I put on her cap before putting her wig on. "Here brush it down in the back for me." She gave me her brush.

I brushed it down for her the way she likes it. Mama watched in the mirror. "You look great Mama." I complimented her.

"Psh girl I look good to be this young." Mama playfully said while getting up from her chair. She showed off her dress. I couldn't help but to smile at her.

"Yes for a 49 year old you look good-"

"Girl shhh. Don't tell nobody that." Mama waved me off, making me laugh. "I love you." I told her before giving her a hug.

"Oh- I-I love you too Kaydence. Forever and ever." Mama replied. I guess it took her by surprise. I'm glad it did just to put a smile on her face.

"You look so beautiful and happy with your baby bump. Don't tell me you and Kyrie back together. I ain't see you smile like this in a while." Mama said.

"No Ma... We're just friends." I assured her. "Mhm. Now come on let's go downstairs so the party can begin." Mama side eyed me with a look upon her face. I laughed at the gesture.

"Okay." I replied with a small smile.

Mama and I walked down the stairs together. You could hear the laughter, joy, and the strong smell of food as we walked downstairs. "Yall down here getting lit." I say, as I hear the loudness of music and people together.

"Yeah we can get litter cause' I got some for yall oldheads." Kahlil said, before changing the soul music that was playing into rap music.

"Got a drop on this flexin' nigga, he from Tennessee. I had a thot, she be with the shits, she told me where he be. I say for sure, baby let me know if you wanna eat. She like, "Von you already know just put your girl on fleek." And he had to play Von.

I couldn't get away from this man even if I wanted too. I shook my head in a smile. "Oooh that's my shit! And he playing my man!" I know that voice from anywhere. My cousin, SiSi. I wonder if she'll think the same way for Von if she knew I had him in a lockhold.

Only time will tell.

SiSi and Kahlil started dancing along to the music. While my other cousins was dancing with them too. Even my mama was lit. I was laughing while they enjoyed themselves. My daddy was nowhere to be found though.

I didn't let it faze me. I certainly didn't want it to faze my mama. Especially on her big day. "Play that Frankie Beverly Before I let go! Ima' show you youngins' how we use to get back in the day!" Aunt Stella came out of the kitchen.

"Alright now Mama." Kahlil pointed at Aunt Stella. Kahlil changed the song to Frankie Beverly and Maze, Before I Let Go.

When the song played out on the speakers, my Mama and my Aunt got together to dance. "Dance with me Kay! Come on Kennedi!" Mama called, as she grabbed my hand to dance with her.