Puzzle Pieces [fluff]

Happy Valentine's Day <3

_______________________

Summary: 5 times James and Regulus are "right person, wrong time" + 1 time they were "right person right time"

_________________________

Regulus met James for the first time at eleven on the train to Hogwarts. He has heard many things about him up to that point. His older brother Sirius was absolutely obsessed with James.

James Potter, his new best friend.

Regulus developed a crush from afar through descriptions in letters and stories told over the summer.

Then he saw him for the first time. James was all smiles and energy – too much energy for Regulus if he is honest with himself today. Yet, the eleven-year-old was absolutely infatuated with the boy, many years before knowing anything about love and romantic attraction and sexualities. James was a beam of pure light, drawing his attention at all times.

1. Right Person too distracted.

Regulus is thirteen now, and in his third year at Hogwarts. James is fourteen. Regulus plays Seeker for his Quidditch team, James plays Chaser for the rival team. Regulus beats him every time. He wins every match he plays but it is especially sweet when he wins against James and his brother.

James is fourteen and flirts. He flirts with everything and everyone, much like Sirius does. Though neither of them means it half the time. They both have their own little obsessions.

Regulus, thirteen, unable to look away whenever James smirks at him, pretends he doesn't know of James' obsession. It isn't him. He knows that. He ignores it.

He has only recently started to think about boys that way. He has waited for the interest in girls and boobs to come – as it came to his friend Barty and many of the boys in his year and the one above. He has waited for that crush on a girl and her perfect skin and soft, long hair to come, but it never did. And while he waited his eyes were always drawn to James.

And then it happened one afternoon that his thoughts went from "He's so cool I want to spend time with him" to "I want him to kiss me"
The thought was triggered by nothing really. James and Sirius were standing on a table, doing some sort of dancing number while their group of friends was singing, and James looked up, caught Regulus' gaze and winked at him.

Regulus will not admit it until the day he dies, but he blushed then.

It is all innocent and pretty. James is a handsome boy; he is charming and smart and kind and good at quidditch – how could Regulus not have a crush on him?

They are in the middle of a Quidditch game. Gryffindor is ahead in points but only by a few. If Regulus catches the snitch, Slytherin will win.

James scores again. The crowd cheers for him. He soars through the sky, along the stands, bathing in the applause. He halts next to Regulus with a shiny grin on his face.

"Hey, Black, enjoying the show or are you going to move at some point?"

"Just giving you a fair chance at beating us, Potter. Can't embarrass you too much, can I?"

James laughs, head thrown back, hair wild and eyes closed.

"How very nice of you, thanks. Well, good luck, our Seeker isn't so bad either."

"You got a new Seeker, then?"

James smirks. "We'll see who wins, good luck."

"Keep your luck, you need it more."