Chapter 41

"Spill" Yeji demanded, a spoon full of strawberry ice cream already in her mouth.

Yoona lifelessly stabbed her vanilla ice cream tube with her spoon, having no appetite at all.

"Come on hun, tell me, what is going on in your life that you look so depressed?" Yeji asked, worried for her friend.

"Well, there's this thing..." Yoona trailed off, not knowing where to start her story from.

"Start from the very beginning, if that's what you're wondering" Yeji said. Yoona released a big sigh.

"You know those rumors around the campus? The ones that say professor Min and I are lost siblings since we look so alike?" Yoona asked quietly, not having the energy to use her full voice.

"Yeah I know. I swear these people's imagination is freaking wild. Why would they go so far?!" Yeji asked aloud, bursting in laughter.

"Wait a minute, how are those stupid rumors related to your depressed state? Did someone tell you anything hurtful? Tell me who those are and I'll go beat them up" Yeji huffed, holding her spoon up as if it were a sword.

"Nothing like that happened, honey, let me finish" Yoona whispered, laying her head in Yeji's shoulder.

"There's this slight possibility that those rumors are true" the blonde mumbled, making the brunette flinch.

"The heck do you mean with that?!"

"You know I've gotten closer with professor Min, or just Yoongi lately. We talk to each other a lot and he sees me as his lost younger sister, since I resemble her a lot. Today he told me how I'm just the same age as her and also have the same name. He's so sure I'm his lost sister it scares me. Do we really look alike that much?" Yoona asked, her eyes glistening with tears as she looked up at Yeji.

"To be honest, hun, you two really have the same features. Especially when you smile, you almost look like twins. Actually, I don't blame our students with wild imagination, you two really look like siblings when seen from afar" Yeji said, thinking about the situation deeply.

"Wait, you're not believing those words for real, are you? Airhead, no matter how much you two look alike and how many coincidences make you similar to that girl, you already have a biological family, and a stupid excuse of a brother. The same blood goes through your veins, so why the heck are you so depressed over that?" Yeji raised an eyebrow at her friend.

"That's the problem. Recently I've got to know that there's this slight possibility I'm adopted" Yoona whispered, but it reached Yeji's ears nevertheless.

Yeji's silence encouraged Yoona to continue.

"The police officer who's inspecting my parents' murder case contacted me a few weeks ago, saying that he thinks I'm adopted. I have no idea how this is related to my parents' murder case, but ever since he has tried to prove to me how Jungkook is not my real brother"

Yeji flinched upon the mention of the boy, but didn't say anything. Yoona took it as a sign to continue.

"Now that there's also Yoongi getting in my head, I'm so confused honey, what am I going to do?" Yoona cried, expecting to hear some kind of advice, at least a couple of comforting words from Yeji, but there was nothing. Slowly, she lifted her head off the other girl's shoulder.

Only to see the other girl grinning widely, like the Cheshire Cat.

"So there's the possibility you're not that bastard's real sister?" Yeji excitedly asked, startling the poor Yoona, whose tears were frozen in her eyes, as she shook her shoulders roughly.

"Yes there is... that police officer texted me a while ago today, telling me that the DNA test results between me and Jungkook are ready and I can go pick them up whenever I want. I'm not ready for it though" Yoona unsurely said, fiddling with her fingers.

"Girl, are you for real?! Go and meet that officer quick! Tell him to meet you right now! How can you be unsure about such an important thing?! He might not be your real brother! Then you have no reason to stay with him! You can come live with me until you find your real family" Yeji said excitedly, grabbing Yoona's hands and shaking them tightly.

Yoona didn't have it in her to tell her best friend she wasn't even planning to look for her real family in case Jungkook wasn't her real brother. She didn't plan on leaving his house even after it. But looking at Yeji's ever so happy eyes, she couldn't get herself to say that to the girl.

Instead, she picked up her phone and fulfilled Yeji's wish: she texted Namjoon, asking him whether they could meet up immediately and the place as well.

"Finish your tube of ice cream quickly and go, hun" Yeji ushered the girl to eat quickly, and the latter complied, despite feeling like choking on that ice cream. She finished it and then got up, quietly making her way to the door of Yeji's house.

"See you later hun, good luck" Yeji cheered her on, hugging her tightly.

Didn't she just yesterday say that she wanted space from me?

What's up with her?

"Goodbye honey, love you" Yoona greeted her as well, blowing a flying kiss at Yeji as she left.

Yoona walked with small and slow steps, not having the energy to walk faster as she felt her downed mood drain all her energy and will. Clenching her fists tight, she knew her nails would leave a bruise in her palm, but she didn't care.

She only hoped for Jungkook to be her biological brother and this all to be just a foolish nightmare.

She wouldn't be able to stand it if it turned out to be the other way around.