Chapter 43

**Three years later**

Clara is now three and Noah is seven. Derek and I have both finished med school and im an intern.

Derek's a year older than me so he graduated a year before me and is now a resident.

Derek built our house when he became a resident because he has more time in his hands. he called it the 'forever house'

Derek's a third year resident and im a second year resident.

Im also pregnant again but this time its a boy.

"Derek, have you seen Clara's shoes? the little black ones with the gold buckle.. I can't find them?" I say with Clara on my hip.

"No, I don't know where her shoes are, she has other black shoes, doesn't she?" he says.

"Yeah, I'll go check... do you want to hold her?" I ask him.

"it could help a bit," I say.

"... yeah," he says looking at her.

he smiles a bit as she reaches out to him. I hand her to him. he hugs her and kisses her head.

"I'll go look for her shoes," I say walking away.

Derek's father died a few days ago and today is the funeral. Noah's already dressed in his suit and sitting on the couch with his ipad.

I'm dressed and Derek's dressed. Clara's also ready she just doesn't have any shoes on right now and I can't find her little black shoes with the gold buckle.

I go into Clara's room and look everywhere for her shoes and for some reason she only has one pair of black shoes. I'm definitely ordering more online after this.

I don't find them in her room and I know their not in our room. I go back into the living room.

"Noah, do you know where your sisters shoes are? the little black ones with the gold buckle?" I ask him.

"I think they're in my closet," he says.

"why are Clara's shoes in your room?" I ask him.

"we were playing a game, like hide and seek, expect 'find the shoe' I hid it in their and then you called us in for dinner and we never got them out," he says not taking his eyes off his Ipad.

"have kids they said, it'll be fun they said," I mumble to myself as I go into Noah's room and sure enough Clara's shoes are in his closet under some clothes.

"I found them, now we can go," I say.

as Derek is holding Clara I slip on shoes.

"Noah, grab your coat, do you have your shoes on?"

"Yes," he says.

"Put your coat on," I tell him.

"Both of you," I say looking at Derek. he nods.

I take Clara and place her onto the counter. I put on her coat and button it up.

"It's very cold outside, so make sure you have your blankey when we get in the car, okay?" I say to her, squeezing her arms gently.

"Okay mama," she smiles. I kiss her head and pick her up. I get my coat on and Derek takes Clara as I help Noah into the car.

both of the kids are now buckled in.

"Should I drive or do you think you're okay to?" I ask Derek. he hasn't really cried since we found out his father was dead.

we were with the kids when Carolyn called us. he left the room and when I found him he was crying in our bedroom and he hasn't cried ever since.

"I'll be fine, Mer," he says.

"Derek," I say walking closer to him.

"I've known you for longer than I haven't known you. you can talk to me, if you don't want to drive I'll drive us to the funeral... I understand hiding it all from the kids, your mom, and your sisters... but you don't have to hide it from me. you don't have to talk to me right now but after the funeral, we can ask your mom to watch the kids and then we can be alone for a bit," I say.

"No, No Meredith. we're not dropping them off at my mothers because of my problems," he shakes his head.

"Okay, then will you at least talk to me tonight?" I ask.

"yeah, fine," he says.

"give me the keys,"

"Mer-"

"give me the keys, Derek.. please," I say.

he hands me the keys and gets into the passenger seat.

I get into drivers seat and drive to the funeral.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Words: 789
Suggestions???