~Chapter Thirty Eight~

Rosalie's POV

'
'
'

"Wee bear finds his empty bowl, his broken chair, and the old woman sleeping in his bed and cries, "Somebody has been lying in my bed, and here she is!" The old woman wakes, is chased out of the house by the huge bear and is never seen again. The end."

Closing the book, I smile and look down to my bump, feeling the soft thump against my palm. "I can't wait to read to you when you arrive. Your daddy and I can't wait to meet you."

My hand stills on the spot where I could feel the soft rythmatic kicking, and my eyes close. "Even though we can't wait... I hope time doesn't go by too fast. I want as much time with you right by me for as long as possible."

In less than 8 weeks, our son or daughter would make an appearance into this dangerous world, and although we were excited for that moment, a part of me was scared. But I knew with Dad and Christian by my side, all would be okay.

After a long 4 hours of mindless shopping, Kiara had dropped me back home, already beat by the day and bidded her goodbyes before driving home. So in the meantime of waiting for Christian to return, I decided reading to the baby would be another good way to build our bond.

A thump from downstairs distracted my thoughts and my eyebrows furrowed together, as I slowly stood up, walking out of the room. "Hello?"

My voice echoes throughout the hallway, and I receive no answer. "Christian? Are you home?" I call out once again and slowly make my path to the stairs.

Worry begins to settle in, as I peer over the railing, the shadow of a tall figure crosses over the floor and disappears. My breath hitches and I quickly back away, running as fast as I could and as quietly back to the nursery, baracading the door by shoving the rocking chair under the handle.

"Shit. Shit. Shit." I whisper in a panic and look around, hoping to find anything that would help protect me, but baby proofing and helpful weapons don't exactly fall into the same category... or at least that was all that was mentioned in the multiple parenting books I had read for the past 7 months.

I pause for a minute, trying to slow down my breathing to hear where the footsteps travelled to, only for my ears to discover the great horror of the footsteps growing closer and closer each second towards the top of the stairs.

In quick thinking, I turn off the lamp so the light wouldn't be seen from under the door and grab the nearest thing to me... spare ply wood that was left from when Christian had created the wall mounted shelves.

A small gasp escapes me as my eyes narrow towards the handle on the door, the movement of it going down gently taps on the top of the chair. Having no time to make any good decision, I force myself in between the many baby clothes in the closet, just in time as the chair falls from the contact.

I clamp my hand over my mouth, tears building to blur my vision, the footsteps quietly growing closer. I near scream when the closet door was yanked open, only to be quitened immediately with an unknown hand covering my mouth.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I'm sorry this is happening, Rosalie. I know I give you no reason to, but I need you to trust me."

I knew that voice, and trusting him is the last thing I was capable of. Not anymore. "Garrett?"

My body jumps at the loud bang from under us. "Where the fuck did he go?!"

I shake in fear as I realise he wasn't here alone. "W-What's happening?" I sob out, my legs near to giving out, the heat of the room getting to my head, faintness taking over me.

"I am so sorry. I promise nothing will happen to you."

My mind was so confused.

Why was Garrett here?

Did he know why this was happening?

Was he a part of it?

Did he plan this?

Was this scheme a part of some revenge plan of his?

Many questions ran through my head as Garrett pulled my hand, leading me down the stairs away from the 3 men currently searching throughout the upstairs of the house.

Keeping me guarded, Garrett lead the way, avoiding any path that the other men had evaded.

My mind was telling me to run, to escape from his grasp, but part of my mind couldn't understand why my heart was telling me to trust and follow.

"Where's Christian?" Was the first thing I asked when Garrett had pulled us both down into the basement, securing the door with the bolt-lock, before sliding a large heavy table to hold the support.

"He's on his way with Robert."

I watched as Garrett walked into the furthest corner of the room, pulling at some sort of loose wooden frame.

Was that another door?

"Don't ask questions, just come on." Garrett had held out his arm to point out the direction and I looked at him for a second with narrowed eyes.

"Rosalie, for once just ... trust me. I'm going to get you out of here."

She couldn't fight off the nagging feeling in the pit of her stomach, but she began to think she was getting those feelings mixed up with hunger, so she let the thought slip her mind.

Loosing track of time, it must have taken at least 30 minutes for Rosalie and Garrett to make an exit from the basement, giving them both the opportunity to sigh in relief.

"Holy shit. Phew. Now I just gotta find Christian." Rosalie nodded to herself, only to freeze in her tracks when her eyes met with the group of men awaiting their arrival at the end of the tunnel.

"Great work, Garrett. I must be honest, I didn't think you could pull this shit off. Boss is gonna be very happy with this beauty."

The man who spoke up, reached to run his fingers through the ends of Rosalie's hair, making her quiver and cringe from disgust.

"I believe my debt is now paid?" Garrett asked in a hopeful tone, as he released Rosalie's hand once and for all, as she tried to desperately grasp on, hopeful for Garrett to tell her that this was all some kind of mistake.

But he never did.

"You're a free man, Winslet. Pleasure doing business with you."

No. No. No!

"Garrett, please! I'm begging you! Please don't do this to me!"

I kicked, begged, screamed after Garrett as two men dragged me back with the arms to one of the vans that had pulled up earlier, making my worry grow as I still hadn't seen any sign of my Father nor Christian.

Just as I had lost all hope, sirens blare from afar, and a soft kick from my stomach greets me with the feeling that everything was going to be okay. Finally.

Or so I thought.

"We have to go! Now! Step on it!"

With no regards to my current situation, the man grabbed me and threw me into the back of the van, jumping in after me to close the door.

I scream and cover my ears as gunshots blast from what sounds like left, right and centre, and the only thing that my gut told me was to protect my bump at all costs.

How did this all go wrong?

Less than three hours ago, little peach and I were back safe at home reading our favourite stories.

How could everything tumble down for the worst in less than three hours?

And just when things couldn't get any worse, they did.. the second my head lowered, I didn't want to believe it myself.

This can't be happening.

My fingers shakily reach out to test if what I was seeing, was real.

The slime feeling confirmed my thought and the warmness only confirmed another.

This was mine. This was from me.

As the blood continued to drip, ruining my clothes and ruining me... my brain finally comes to the scarring realisation.

I was loosing my baby.