55. Break of Dawn

The distant murmurs pulled her out of slumber, jolting her awake. She scanned the room for a clock, but the haziness of sleep made it difficult for her to focus on anything. She had to strain her eyes to make out the time, still groggy and disoriented.

She was astonished for falling asleep and also didn't wake up even once during the night. When she realized that it was time for Fajr, she sat up straight, the comforter falling from above her shoulders into her lap. She was a bit confused about where the comforter came from, but she stepped out of bed immediately and made it.

She could still hear voices in the distance, one of which she recognized as Shavez's. The other voice, belonging to a woman, was unfamiliar to her.

Who is in the house this early?

Then she realized that if she stepped out of the room she had to face Shavez whom she ditched unintentionally the previous night, she regretted it, of course she did. And she had an apology to do.

Realizing that it was time for Fajr, and the sun may be out anytime soon, she decided to prioritize her prayers before anything else. If she were to go out before praying, she might not make it back in time before the sun rises.

After completing her prayer, she left the room and made her way to the kitchen area, still adorned in her Nikah attire

"..yes and please only the dietary plan is to be followed," Shavez told someone.

"Sure sir" the woman replied.

As soon as Haya entered the room, Shavez turned towards her, inadvertently revealing the woman he was speaking to.

"Assalamualaikum" He beamed, wearing his trousers and t-shirt he looked so fresh this early. He didn't look like he was mad at her for sleeping early, Haya was more worried because that only meant more trouble.

The middle-aged woman approached with a wide grin on her face, "Assalamualaikum Bibi," she exclaimed. Haya was unable to respond as the woman eagerly grasped her hands, kissing the back of her palm with excitement.

Haya pulled her hand back in a whiff because this action was certainly very uncomfortable for her. "Y-you don't have to do that," She said in a slow panicked voice.

"This is Rukhsana, our housekeeper" Our house. It was weird how he just casually said that the house was hers too. "She'll be here to assist you throughout the day, taking care of all the cooking and cleaning, so you won't have to worry about a thing, alright?"

Why is he not mad at me?

Shavez who was standing by the kitchen counter came towards the dining area where they both were standing. "And Rukhsana you have to make sure she doesn't work at all okay?" He said and the woman nodded enthusiasm emitting from her gesture.

"You can leave everything on me," the woman said, "Why would I let her work? She is the queen of this house after all."

"That she is," Shavez said.

Haya wasn't sure who they were talking about now, because nobody would talk about her that way certainly, she just stared as they both conversed.

"Did you pray?" Shavez now addressed Haya as the housekeeper went towards the counter to carry on with her work.

"Yes" She replied and saw that Shavez was leaving the dining area towards the hall so she followed him, her steps were muted.

"Accompany me." He said turning his head a little towards the back and seeing that she was following him.

After unlocking the door to the room furthest from the entrance, Shavez and Haya entered. Although not vast, the room was spacious enough, and its single wall was draped with large curtains concealing whatever lay behind it. Along the walls hung expensive paintings of Kaaba and Madina, while only a single table and chair were present - both, she presumed, for prayer. It was a prayer room.