That never happened.

You watched through your scope, aligning your shot with Shepherd's head. Your hands were shaking as you watched what was happening. You felt as if this had happened before, your hands freezing as you heard the first shot. You couldn't move no matter how hard you tried. The second rang out and the soft thud. You couldn't move away from the scope, forced to watch your teammates drop dead...

You woke up and quickly sat up in your bed, your whole body shaking as you got out of bed. You didn't care to put on your shoes or even lock the door as you left your room. Tears streaming down your face as you walked down the hall to the room that had 'Riley' plated on it.

You frantically knocked on the door, your breaths uneven as you called his name from the other side.

"Ghost, please. Ghost"

Your words were caught between sobs, the door opening seconds later. You didn't care to look up at his face, your arms wrapping around his torso, your warm tears soaking his skin. He sighed and led you inside, the door shutting behind you. You held him as tight as possible, your fear of losing him still there.

"Same nightmare?"

He whispered, his hand placed gently on your back. You nodded and let go of him, wiping your face of the tears. He nodded and sat down on the couch, patting the spot next to him. You made your way over to him and sat there, curled into his side. You didn't know why you were so haunted by that dream...He told you it never happened but it was so real to you. Roach wasn't here anymore but Ghost said he had died a different way, not how you dreamed he did.

You had stopped questioning him about the dream, just accepting that it wasn't real. You looked up at Ghost, his mask lazily pulled over his face. You reached up and fixed it for him, a slight smile on your face. You felt a bit better having him still there, alive and able to comfort you.

"Do you ever think of leaving the force?"

He glanced at you as if you were crazy.

"No, I'm here for life. Married to my job, till death do us part."

You frowned at his words, moving so your head was in his lap. You looked up at the ceiling with your arms crossed over your chest.

"What about when you retire? What are you going to do?"

You yawned, the fear you had just minutes ago melted away like ice on a heater.

"I don't have a plan, you're thinking too far ahead. Death is around every corner so I take it day by day."

He turned on the TV, lowering the volume so it wasn't a problem for his neighbors.

"Okay, I get that but do you ever dream of a different life? One that wasn't so blood thirsty?"

"It's all I have ever known. Are you trying to change me (Y/N)"

He scoffed, his hand flicking your forehead. You smiled and turned to look at the TV, maybe you were trying to change him. The fear of losing him in the back of your mind, changing him so he would have a better chance of surviving might have been the reason you asked. You couldn't lose another piece of your heart.

You shrugged and curled up closer to him. This would have to do for now, being close to his beating heart was going to have to hold you over till you could convince him.

.

Loving him was a war you were willing to fight.