Pink shoes.

Those pink platforms sitting on the floor of your living room startled you a bit. They were a way too small to fit your foot...They weren't yours.

You picked up the shoes and tossed them with the rest of your shoes by the door, maybe they were just a random buy. Your husband always bought random things on deployments, thinking you might like them.

"Simon?"

You called out down the oddly empty hallway, no response but you could hear a slight shuffle in your room. You shrugged it off and walked into the kitchen, grabbing a snack out of the drawer. You ate it in the eerie silence of your house for about 5 minutes till you felt a hand on your shoulder.

"Hi sweetie."

Simon leaned down and kissed you, his breath smelled oddly fruity, like some kind of sherbet gum. He didn't like fruity gum...or any kind of candy like that. You grabbed his jaw and held his mouth open, smelling his breath once more.

"What's up with you? I thought you didn't like oranges'?"

Simon pulled away from your grip, a bit startled by your behavior.

"What are you talking about?"

"Your breath, it smells like sweet orange candy?"

He shrugged as he leaned against the counter.

"Johnny gave me some kind of gum. I wanted to try it, it's okay."

.

.

.

You held your phone up to your ear as it rung out, it was your third time calling your husband. What was he even doing that he couldn't pick up the phone. He was off again so it should be easy to answer the phone.

"What?"

He sounded agitated.

"Excuse me? Honey, don't be rude. "

"Yeah yeah, what did you need? You called like 3 times."

You let out a sigh, leaning back in your office chair.

"I need you to pick up your daughter, she threw up at school and they want one of us to come pick her up. Can you do that?"

"Sure, tell them i'll be there in 20. I'm doing something important right now."

You were a bit shocked by his answer, like his kid wasn't top priority.

"Simon, if you don't go pick up your child this instant. I swear may god have mercy on you."

You could hear a faint voice in the background of his line, you didn't pay much attention to it. You just thought he was out with his friends.

"Fine, i'll get there as soon as possible. Bye."

"Bye. Love"

You corrected him, hanging up the phone.

.

.

.

"I'm busy this weekend. I'm sorry I can't take you out on a date."

"It's fine Simon. We have forever to do those small things."

.

.

.

"Simon, how did these hair ties get in here?"

You held up a pink hair tie, a bit disgusted with it,

"I don't know, you know how our child is. She brings home a lot of random stuff.

You rolled your eyes and threw the tie away. Going on with your life.