Chapter 27

Bennet's POV:

"Honey I'm home!" My voice echoed throughout the house, going down the narrow passage.

"Hey man." I heard Harry's voice boom from the kitchen, the sound of pots and pans banging together, an indication of a man not knowing what he's doing in the kitchen.

Entering the room he was in, I was welcomed to the smell of burnt roasted chicken and the screeching sound of the smoke detector. A puddle of spilt water spread on the marble floor as my eyes drifted to the messiness of the countertops.

"What the heck are you doing?" I asked amazed and not in a good way.

Pieces of unevenly cut carrots were placed on a cutting board, next to a pan frying awfully brown asparagus.

"Cooking...duh." He had a distressed face, balancing on a chair and fanning the smoke away from the detector.

"Cooking? You barely know how to boil water!"

A sarcastic laugh expelled from his mouth, flaunting a forced and fake smile, "Hahahahha...that is so funny. I can't seem to stop laughing." He responded, jumping to the ground.

"No need to flatter me." I flashed a mischievous grin, pulling out a chair and watching the amusing show of a fully grown man going to war with kitchen utensils.

"What are you looking for?" I observed, watching him pace up and down, opening the fridge frantically.

"The cooking oil." His forehead glistened from sweat, "Have you seen it?"

"It's in the cabinet. Why are you looking in the fridge?"

"How am I suppose to know?" He mumbled, shutting the door.

Saying I wasn't in complete bliss watching the havoc before me, would be an absolute lie. I was enjoying each and every moment.

"By the way, the stove knob is still at zero," I pinned out, "that's why your rice isn't boiling."

The man's face dropped as he stared at the stove, his jaw clenched as if it was at fault.

"I knew that." He dragged his feet, turning the knob to maximum, "I was just testing you. A very attentive man you are, Bennet Lorenzo Choi."

"I'm sure you were." I mocked, my eyes diverting to my sport's bag that was thrown at the doorway, the zip completely opened.

Elisha would flip if she saw this, I thought to myself, smiling from ear to ear. Her nose would always flare up when I placed things where they didn't belong.

Bennet get out of my face. You're stinky and irritating, now go to the bathroom and bath, she would say whenever I tried hugging her after practise, all sweaty and stinky.

Memories after memories of us crossed my mind. Our first date, first bible study, first kiss and wedding day came rushing back like a ton of bricks.

It was no secret that I missed her. It was no secret that I still loved her. And it was no secret that no other woman could ever replace her. She wasn't my first love but she was my true love. How was I suppose to let her go when she was my partner in this journey called life.

I moved out of our house because every corner hide a memory of her. I couldn't sleep in our bed because the bedsheets smelt like her. I couldn't live in that house knowing that I had bought it for her and our future kids, turning it into not just a beautiful house but a loving home.

"How was practise?" Harry asked with a concerned look, stealing my attention once again.

"Same old, same old." I sat up, refocusing my mind. "Coach drilled us with an intense workout, stating that his pregnant wife can run faster than us. Nothing new."