Page 368

After Viktor left them to talk, Prince Aiden brought her to a secluded area away from prying eyes or anyone who could overhear their private conversation. 

"What did you tell him?" She immediately asked the man and looked at him seriously. As she waited for his response, she took the opportunity to silently study the man. She thought that Prince Aiden did not change a lot after nine years. In her opinion, he is more attractive now that he matured into a fine gentleman in his early forties. 

"I told him everything except for my participation in his parents' deaths..." He sullenly replied. 

"What?!! Why did you tell him in the first place if you do not intend to tell him the whole truth? Aiden, this is not good! Even without peeking into the future, I could already tell that this big secret would lead to a huge disaster once he discovered the entire truth." She looked at him sadly. She understood why he is keeping it a secret but understanding a thing is not the same as being the right thing. 

"I never wanted to tell him the truth from the very beginning. I wanted the boy to recognize us as his parents. He may not be our biological son but I consider him my real son! I believe you think of him that way too..." He confessed to her his true intention. In his opinion, they looked after the kid and treated him like a real son so they deserved to be recognized as his true parents. 

"What were you thinking?!! You know that he is not our kid! He deserves to know the whole truth! Let him decide his next action once you tell him everything! Aiden, you must come clean and you should do it now... " She convinced him before everything became irreparable. 

"Psi, he will be extremely hurt and devastated once he finds out about my participation in the demise of his parents and the fall of his birthright to the wrong hands... I was forced to do it... No, it was more accurate to say that I was very scared of Timothy! I was so scared he would turn me into an invalid and then a eunuch if I do not tell him about the secret underground passages and surrender the keys to access its gates quietly and easily... I helped that cursed half-brother kill my imperial brother and his wife! I helped that wicked person steal my nephew's birthright!" He was full of raw emotion as he expressed his greatest shame and regrets to her.

"He will be more hurt and devastated once he finds out the whole truth another way."

"You are not going to tell him, are you?"

"No. It is not my secret to tell. It would be appropriate if you tell him yourself."

"We are the only ones that know the whole truth. Just as long as you do not tell him, everything will be alright!"

"No... Whether you tell him or not, the truth will still prevail..."

"Our good relationship will be gone if I tell him..." 

"If you are too worried that he would not understand, then why did you tell him the truth about his identity?"

"When you left, little Viktor was very affected. Day by day, he waited for your return and was always wondering when his 'Mother' going to return... I felt very sorry for the boy as he did not stop waiting for you even after five years so I told him the truth...Well, some of it... I did it out of love and concern for him."

"Did it help him move on?"

"No. It made things worse...  " He replied when he recalled that Viktor changed a lot after knowing his true identity. 

"What do you mean?"

"You might be wondering why we left the beautiful island and returned to Cloud Empire when life is so peaceful and everything that we needed for survival is there?"

She nodded and waited for him to continue. 

"Viktor wants vengeance! He wants everyone that has something to do with the downfall of his parents to suffer and die painfully and miserably! I tried to talk him out of it but I failed. He has already made up his mind. My only option is to help him..."

"Are you afraid of his vengeance?"

"No. I just do not want to lose him. " He replied, looking into her eyes as he gently told her, "Psi, I just do not want to lose our little Viktor... He is our baby, remember?"

She did not say anything as she embraced the man and gently soothe his back like that simple gesture would solve anything. She wanted to say that everything will be alright but that would be far from the truth that she knew...

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

FOLLOW to encourage the author.

VOTE to support the novel.

COMMENT to share your thoughts.

© 2021 Jezel Mandin Sapata-Gentiles. All Rights Reserved