Chapter 35 - Crooked

"Jane, stop that tapping, you're shaking the car." my mother says annoyingly behind me in the car.

"Interesting language, what is that?"

Begrudgingly I answered him in one breath
"Haitian creole, she just told me to stop tapping my foot."

I feel Detective Japan glance towards me, eyes lingering on my legs, focused on my actions before huffing a smirk.

"She is just so happy to see me mami," detective Juni B Jones chuckled, "she can understand me right?" I bite my tongue hard to not drool over his thick green veins when he grips the steering wheel.

"Weren't you guys having a lovely time shopping the other day without me? But yes she can understand English a bit."

My cheeks were still stinging from Cameron's grip, I shuddered thinking of him and those demonic eyes. "Thank you." I managed softly, still fragile, from the contact with the devil.

I avert my eyes watching his thick lips spread to a smile, pearly nearly blinded me when they shimmer from the afternoon sun, "No need to thank me, I told you women in need are my concern." accent still strong and voice still deep.

"I mean for watching over my mother,"

"Mami does run off" he laughs.

"I'm just happy she ran off to you."

Detective Jonas Brother turns to me softly, the car came to a slow stop under the red light, we say nothing staring into each other's eyes, he scans my face and I scan his, so handsome and flawless.

"Have you thought about it?" he whispered.

"About what?"

"Letting me-"

The Blaring of the car horn behind us had me squeal, pissing off my Carribean mother who didn't hesitate to start cussing at the person behind us. How long have we been staring at each other? What was he going to say?

My clothes were getting tighter, clearing my throat that was unexpected, but so was his appearance, where did he come from? Was he there the whole time? And why anywhere he could be, I find him there?

Swallowing thickly "What were you doing there?"

"Your Madre invited me."

Whipping my head backwards to my mom, who only looked up and smiled from her phone, "What?"

"Yes, she invited me to the church."

"Were you there the whole time?"

"Si"

Could that explain the dread I was feeling the whole time? "I didn't see you; did you see me?"

Huffing out a genuine smile "I couldn't keep my eyes off you botón de Oro"

Taking in the comment I swallow and turn to blow out the steam from my veins. "So, you heard everything." His smile disappeared hearing my low tone. "Si".

"You were right, Cameron is the leader of these ants."

"I would never Lie to you."

"Those cops are really - "I was afraid to finish the sentence, Paranoid if the phones or anything were recording, I need to learn to talk in code from now on.

"They are the rotten apples in the tree, and they know it." he huffs. I noticed there is no emotion in his eyes, or a glitch or discomfort in his body movement, either he is used to this kind of stuff, or he can hide his emotions exceptionally well. "This doesn't seem to be bothering you" the sound of his grip tightening around the steering wheel brought an unpleasant lick in between my legs, is that why he calm? He takes out the anger on the poor innocent women in his chambers.