Chapter 70 - Forwarded

'Please leave a message for -'

I'm ready to throw my phone out the window, I could almost give myself a face lift from the way I keep massaging the temples of my head.

Now she can't respond? But practically blew up my phone with missed calls. I feel sick, my stomach in knots with hot bile crawling up my throat, of all the levels she dropped, this one was the lowest of the low. Not even I would have thrown her under the bus even if I was bribed with hundreds of millions of dollars.

Well actually ...

"You're quiet," The detective says beside me. Dark Eyes facing the road stoically.

"How could you have anything to say in this moment?"

"There is many things to say" he chuckled.

My irritation burning, of course it's easy to laugh, no one is sharpening spears with his name on it. "Can you please not?" I force a calm voice despite the Tension burning my veins.

"Not what?"

"Not like laugh in this moment? Because we well I am sort of busted right now? I need time to think." My chest heaves, a part of me wants to unleash the rage onto him, but what would it help? In the end the real ones in power will go unscathed while I screamed at an innocent man.

Like New York itself, my life is A melt pot. Sinking lower and lower into the unknown chaos I call life.

I can't even blink without my mind creating the worst things imaginable, "My life is over" I whispered out loudly, too many things spiraling out of control to keep it piled up inside.

"It's over for me," my chest heaving with tears threatening to escape. "I can't walk the streets anymore." I sniffled, the more I came in tune, the more my heart pounded, afraid of what's to come and how I'll be able to handle it.

"My mother ... was right?" I son put with a chuckle, words my Haitian pride ever wanted to admit, I mean she probably was always right, I just didn't like her tone.

Nothing but me myself and I as huff, laugh and cry out everything inside. Hoping for any type of reassurance, even a small gesture of flirting would do at this moment, even though I just shut him down for chuckling, a simple 'it's going to be ok' would have sufficed.

Peering over to meet his side profile, the tears blur my vision and I blinked out. An expression of stoicism, dark eyes distant, no smile or emotion but the tightening of fists on the wheel.

"Nothing?" I huffed

His Adams apple throbs from his swallow before he exhaled.

"Now you're quiet?"

"Only granting your wish princesa" He says in one breath, passive aggressive tone.

Feeling my glare he turns to meet my eyes as the car pulls up to a stop sign. "Jane" he breathed, "listen -"

"No, it's ok. I mean I brought you far enough in this case" it all makes sense, no point of yelling.

"No Jane, please listen"

"I got you far enough in the case so of course, the investigation must go on and you have to cut loose ends" my eyes glossing, but I force to look out the window.

I can feel his gaze burning my cheeks, "You can drop me off at Tanika's place please and don't worry I won't tell anyone anything."

"Jane -"

"I hope in the end you can still accomplish your goals and bring them down,"

"Please listen -"

"Times ticking detective, I need to go check on my mother and prep for a big downfall" I was interrupting, but I didn't care, nothing in this moment could be uplifting.