Chapter 40 - Invitation

I stood staring at my figure in the mirror only pointing out any flaw, could be a speck or barely noticeable it would have been enough to stay home. The muffled sound of Justine's door opening took my attention away for a second, I stare at the door in the mirror behind me, a part of wished she would walk in right now and we'd sweep this under the rug, she'd explain herself admit her flaws and we'd move on, my heart beat began to pick up hearing her footsteps approach my door, I stare at the shadow of her feet at the bottom, I couldn't help but silently walk towards it, my hand reached to the knob but stay in the air, it's like we can hear each other breathe.

Moments passed and I heard her sigh, my arms slowly fell as I watched her feet recede slowly as if she was walking backwards. I can feel the tears brimming, but I refuse to let them fall, maybe going to work would be a good idea. My phone began buzzing then, unknown number. The fourth one in two days, I could hear Tanika loud and clear telling me not to answer the phone from afar, no one else but my saved contacts should have my phone number. Yet what if it's Rowan? I want to scream at him for abandoning me again.

"He-hello?" I cleared my throat, I could hear someone breathing, the wind sound in the background.

"Jane dear, how are you?" That sultry voice, oh man - could it be? "It's Rowan's grandma, you remember" she laughs.

Fuck.

"Hi- yes I do, may I ask how did you -"

"I asked your friend for it" she interrupted. Something's just doesn't change and friend?

"Who was -"

"I'm so sorry for the late notice I've been wanting to let you know that dinner is tonight, I've been so busy trying to not mess up the recipe to make it perfect for you." I heard her laugh.

"Oh really? You shouldn't have troubled yourself with all of that."

"You're an important guest, I shouldn't have spoken to you the way I did, let this be my apology." Her tone genuine and clear, oh wow, it almost makes me want to try and attempt to Learn her name again.

"That's very nice of you thank you, but I'll be at work pretty late an-"

"Rowan has really missed you" like a dog my ears and senses on full alert, heartbeat nearly broke out of my chest, my legs wobbled, Rowan, I could feel my body turning into butter, wait no fuck him. "Rowan and I haven't spoken" I sighed sadly.

"Well, you are all he talks about here and he even cut class short just to see you, he has been doing exceptionally on his classes and studies in his English." she exclaims proudly. It always struck me as odd, though she is accustomed to modern life, why is it she never had a thick accent like Rowan.

After a moment's pause "Alright, what time?"

"Why don't you come after work?"

I glanced at my outfit in the mirror; white off the shoulder lace dress with a lace chest tie, hair in high Pom Poms, it was giving cottage girl vibes, geeking to myself in the mirror "yea, tonight will be fine." I needed to find a flaw, but this dress ended up being the best thing.

"Alright, I'll send you the address, Jim and I are ecstatic to have you over." "Excited to have yuh over Darelyn" Irish accent in the background made me smile. I'm glad Jim is doing great.

"I'll see you later Jim." I cheesed before the lines ended. Could things finally be turning around for me? It took so long but I was happy to have a little piece of Mind, maybe It's time to update a little on Watt-pad. Gathering my sweatshirt to head to work I'm stopped by something ominous; I could have sworn Justine went back to her room. Shadows of footprints beneath my door, has she stood there the whole time?