Chapter 41 - The Dinner 1/3

My eyes dig into my brain while I scoff irritatingly, though she didn't give me a specific time I still wanted to at least make it before nine, after work she said but I closed three hours ago and have been sitting behind the Lyft car for God knows how long.

"I am so sorry, I'm stuck in traffic there are so many reporters and marches, we're crammed in." I nearly cried on phone.

"No worries love, you stay safe" she answered, we exchanged a few more words before ending the call, so much for punctuality. I glanced towards the Lyft driver who was ready to bash his head into the steering wheel, though his expression his stoic and calm from the side, his large belly heaves up and down ratting out his real demeanor. "I am so sorry Mama." He says to me in his broken English.

"This isn't your fault," I answered peering to the action on the right, the lights of helicopters and create spotlights for the reporters who are trying to get their story and run.

Looking down to my phone it would only take me six minutes to get there, but I'm frozen in fear thinking someone might recognize me. Watt pad give you options of privacy, but then I remembered I was ready to post a picture of myself but never got a chance because I was in the middle of being mauled by a mountain lion, with the thought I felt it's ghost claws and winced. I was so close to exposing myself, no one should ever know who I am, I should be safe.

"I'll walk from me here, thank you."

"What?" I didn't repeat but handed him the money. I'm bombarded by the amounts of noise and wind and had to tie my dress and make haste.

Lord I need to go to a gym, I only took two steps and I'm already tired.

"Hel- oh!" I watch her take a step back in shock once she opens the door.

"Hey" I growl trying to look presentable, my chest heaved from running so fast, beads of sweat race down my temple oiling my forehead, "I'm sorry I'm late, I ran as fast as I could and stumbled into -"

"No, it's fine" she muffled cupping her nose in a polite way. "Our bathroom is right down the hall there, but please be careful there is mud in your shoe -"

I stomped right onto her carpet beelined for the bathroom she pointed to "I'm sorry what you say?"

"Uh never mind" she smiles disappointedly, brown eyes staring at my feet.

Lord almighty I look like a train wreck, my hair was flying in every direction. Ahhhhhhh! Oh, it's just a twig. Rowan won't take me seriously when I cuss him out, I look like Bigfoots little sister, my back is drenched, holy cow my deodorant is losing its fragrance, I just had to take a short cut and land right into a hole on the ground, how fast can I fix this mess I call ... myself?

They wouldn't mind if I took a quick shower do, they? No. Shoot, ah, Deodorant. And perfume? And a comb, I sigh in gratitude. Re braiding my hair, the scent of lavender travels through my nose stealing away my attention and I finally looked around the bathroom, it was bigger than my living room, the perfect scenery of light and dark; crimson red towels folded neatly from big to small, matching deep red carpet on the floor, Marble tiles and countertops with labeled products. Red against beige. Everyone seems to find beige the easiest color to pair with, it used to be white.

Intriguing aesthetic.

Finally satisfied looking less like a monster it was time to head back out, only ... where did I come from? Opening the door, I was met with three hallways: one straight ahead with the other two facing opposite of me. Paranoia reared its ugly head when I looked at the right hall, I wrapped my arms around my body protectively ready to tumble and cry when goosebumps decorated my skin from the shivers. The more I looked at the empty hall it appeared to narrow and darken or maybe my vision was turning fuzzy.