Chapter 9: Dead or not

The End 2

Dean and Alexis walk up the stairs to the building where Cass was supposed to be. Dean and Alexis push through the bead curtain hanging in the doorway. 

"So, in this way, we find we're each a fragment of total perception, just, uh, one compartment in that dragonfly eye of group mind." Cass says. He was sitting in a circle with a bunch of women. "Now, the key to this total, shared perception is--it's, um...It's surprisingly physical." Cass looked up to see Dean. "Excuse me, ladies. I think I need to confer with our fearless leader for a minute. Why not go get washed up for the orgy?"

"Did he just say orgy?" Alexis asks Dean. 

"I think he did." 

The woman stand, moving out the door as Cass stands. "You're all so beautiful." He says. 

"What are you, a hippie?" Dean asks Cass. 

"I thought you'd gotten over trying to label me." Cass wasn't facing the two as he cracks his neck. He sighs, turning. 

"Cass, we gotta talk." 

"Whoa. Strange." Cass looked at Dean, then his eyes flicker to Alexis. "You are not you--not the now you, anyway."

"No. Yeah. Yes, exactly." Dean nods. 

"What year are you two from?" 

"2009." 

Cass sighs. "Who did this to you? Is it Zachariah?"

"Yes." 

"That winged asshole." Alexis mutters. 

"Interesting." Cass hums.

"Oh, yeah, it's friggin' fascinating." Dean says sarcastically. "Now--" Dean claps. "--why don't you strap on your angel wings and fly me back to my page on the calendar?" 

Cass laughs. "I wish I could just, uh, strap on my wings, but I'm sorry, no dice." 

"What are you, stoned?" Dean asks. 

"Seems like it." Alexis sighs. 

"Uh, generally, yeah." Cass nods. 

"What happened to you?" Dean questions. 

"Life." 

At the sound of trucks getting closer echoes, Dean, Alexis, and Cass walk outside. 

Dean and Alexis round the corner to see Future Dean, along with many other hunters, cracking open a beer as they stood by the vehicles. One hunter walks off, turning his back. Future Dean raises a gun. 

Dean yells for him to watch out just as Future Dean shot the man in the head. 

The body dropped to the ground and everyone's eyes turned to Dean and Alexis. 

"I think we're gonna be in trouble." Alexis mutters. 

"Damn it." Future Dean mumbles, looking at the other hunters. "I'm not gonna lie to you. Me and him, it's a pretty messed up situation we got going. But believe me, when you need to know something, you will know it. Until then, we all have work to do." 

~~~

Future Dean shoves Dean into the cabin before holding the door open for Alexis. "Go on in." He nods inside the building and Alexis walks in. "What the hell was that?" 

"What the hell was that." Dean asks. "You just shot a guy in cold blood."

"We were in an open quarantine zone, got ambushed by some crotes on the way out." Future Dean explains. "Crotes, croatoans." He says after Dean gave him a questioning look. "One of them infected Yager."