Chapter 39: We don't want you here

Hammer of the gods 2

After everyone had been seated, including the hunters, Baldur taps a spoon against his champagne glass. "Ladies and gentlemen. In all my centuries, I never thought I'd see this." He begins. "This many gods under one roof."

"Gods?" Sam asks, his eyes jumping to Deans.

"And before we got down to brass tacks, some ground rules." Baldur continues. "No slaughtering each other, curb your wrath. Oh, and keep your hands off the local virgins. We're trying to keep a low profile here."

"Oh, we are so, so screwed." Sam mutters.

Alexis pulled Madilyn closer to her chest as Deans hand landed on her knee, giving it a comforting squeeze.

"And we all know why we're here." Baldur says. "The Judeo-Christian apocalypse looms over us. I know, we've all had our little disagreements in the past, but the time has come to put those aside and look toward the future. Because if we don't, we won't have one. Now, we do have three very valuable bargaining chips: Michael, Lucifer, and Eden's vessels." He pointed to the end of the table where Sam, Dean and Alexis sat. "The question is, what do we do now? Anybody have any bright ideas? Speak up. This is a safe room."

Zao Shen stood. "What do we do? We kill them." He says harshly in Cantonese.

"Oh, I don't like his tone." Dean mumbles.

"Kill them? Why? So the angels here can bring them back again?" Ganesh asks.

"I don't know what everybody's getting so worked up about." Odin speaks up. "This is just a couple of angels having a slap fight. It's no Armageddon. Everybody knows when the world comes to an end the great serpent Jormungandr rises up and I myself will be eaten by a big wolf."

Zao Shen sighs. "Here we go."

"Oh, yeah? And why is that? Because your beliefs are so much more realistic? Whole world's getting carried around on the back of a giant turtle. Ha! Give me a break."

"Don't mock my world turtle."

"What are you gonna do about it?" Odin stood, leaning across the table.

"I'm gonna send you packing to Valhalla!" Zao Shen points at him, still speaking Cantonese.

"You watch your mouth when you talk to me, boy."

"Boy? I'm older than you."

"No one's ever proved that."

Sam, Dean and Alexis slowly stood, quietly moving toward the door. But they stopped when a chandelier fell in front of them, shattering.

"Stay." Kali demands. The three hunters turn. "We have to fight. The archangels, the only thing they understand is violence. This ends in blood. There is no other way. It's them or us."

"With all due respect, ma'am." Mercury speaks up. "We haven't even tried talking to them."

Kali glares at him and Mercury begins to choke, blood spilling past his lips.

"Kali." Baldur complains.

"Who asked you?" Kali says as Mercury catches his breath.

"Can't we all just get along?" Gabriel walks in the doors.

"Gab--" Sam begins.

Gabriel waves a hand and none of the three hunters could talk anymore.

"Tsk, tsk. Sam, Dean, Alexis." Gabriel says walking toward them. "It's always wrong place, worst time with you muttonheads, huh?"