Chapter 27: That's one hell of a team

The Song Remains the Same 2

Alexis tied a bandanna around Deans palm as the two stood in the kitchen of the abandoned house. "You could be a little gentler about it." Dean nudges her side, a joking tone filling his voice.

"Yeah, and you could be a man about it." Alexis quips. "And I have a very gentle touch, thank you." 

"Okay." Mary spoke up from her spot on the floor as she poured holy oil in a circle. "You said you'd explain everything when we had a minute. We have a minute. Why does an angel want me dead?"

Dean glances around, leaning against the doorframe. "Because they're dicks."

"Not good enough." Mary chuckles.

"Well, aren't you needy?" Alexis mutters. 

"I didn't even know they existed and now I'm a target?" Mary continues. 

"It's complicated." Dean looked down at the floor.

"Fine." Mary stood up. "All ears."

"And I thought you got your stubbornness from John." Alexis mumbles. 

"You're just gonna have to trust me." Dean tells Mary.

"I've been trusting you all day." Mary counters. 

"It's kind of hard to believe."

"Alright, I'm walking out the door."

"I'm your son." Dean says making Mary turn back to him. 

"Yeah, rip it off fast. Like a bandaid." Alexis pats Deans shoulder as she walks past him and sits down on the couch. 

"What?" Mary asks.

Dean walked toward her. "I'm your son. I'm sorry. I don't know how else to say it. We're from the year 2010. An angel zapped us back here. Not the one that attacked you, friendlier."

"You can't expect me to believe that." Mary tells him. 

"Our names are Dean and Sam Winchester. We're named after your parents. When I would get sick you would make me tomato rice soup because that's what your mom made you." Dean pauses. "And instead of a lullaby, you would sing Hey Jude."

Alexis smiles a little. That was a trait Dean had adopted. He didn't know that Alexis knew this, but he would sing to Madilyn when she woke up in the middle of the night. And it wasn't ever a lullaby, Alexis noted. 

"That's your favorite Beatles song." Dean continues. 

"I--" Mary shook her head, tears in her eyes. "I don't believe it. No."

"I'm sorry, but it's true." 

"I raised my kids to be hunters?" Mary asks. 

"No, no, you didn't."

"How could I do that to you?" 

"You didn't do it...because you're dead." Dean tells Mary. 

Mary stared at him. "What--? What happened?"

"Yellow-eyed demon. He killed you and...John became a hunter to get revenge. He raised us in this life." Dean pauses. "Listen to me. A demon comes into Sam's nursery, exactly six months after he's born. November 2nd, 1983. Remember that date and whatever you do...do not go in there. You wake up that morning and you take Sam and you run." 

"That's not good enough, Dean." Sam spoke up, suddenly in the doorway. "Wherever she goes, the demons gonna find her. Find me." 

"Well, then what?" Dean asks.